Article 427

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalonymann

Looking for some solid language as to whether Article 427 applies to the heaters on our extruders. The heaters are band heaters

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see how it applies as art 427 applies to systems with pipeline or vessels. Maybe I have the wrong idea of an extruder. Let's see what others say

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see 427 applying the extruder. The extruder is not a vessel as defined in that article.
Vessel. A container such as a barrel, drum, or tank for holding fluids or other material.
If you are on the 2017 code, I believe Article 425 would apply.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Maybe you don't understand what an extruder is; an extruder is a barrel that contains material.
I understand it very well...have worked in a plastics factory with multiple extruders since 1973.

The extruder does not meet the code definition of vessel that is found in Article 427 as it was not designed for holding (storing) fluids. The extruder is designed for extruding the material out the end, or for mixing and then extruding the material out the die head, not holding. Article 427 does not apply the the heating used for the extruder barrel or die head.

Last edited:

buffalonymann

I understand it very well...have worked in a plastics factory with multiple extruders since 1973.

The extruder does not meet the code definition of vessel that is found in Article 427 as it was not designed for holding (storing) fluids. The extruder is designed for extruding the material out the end, or for mixing and then extruding the material out the die head, not holding. Article 427 does not apply the the heating used for the extruder barrel or die head.

Art 427 does not use the word "storing". An extruder is a barrel that holds material to be extruded. The CMP could have very well used the word "storing" if that was their intent; they chose not to.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Art 427 does not use the word "storing". An extruder is a barrel that holds material to be extruded. The CMP could have very well used the word "storing" if that was their intent; they chose not to.
It says holding and if your extruder is holding product, it has a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.