Article 430.52

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I ran across a code question recently in my apprenticeship class. I know the answer but couldn’t find a way to the reference. (This was in MH exam prep book btw.) I feel the code falls down here. Basically, the answer is that full load current for table 430.52 is based on tables 430.247-250. I know this and teach it. But this code requirement isn’t found or referenced in 430.52. I had to cheat and look at the answer key. It is 430.6. I challenge anyone to give me a logical path to find this reference. 430.22 points you back to 430.6 for conductor ampacity. I firmly believe 430.52 should also point you back to this reference as well.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
430.6 is in Part I, General, so it applies to all parts of the article, but code users often don't read everything that they should.

If you think a pointer is needed in 430.52, you should submit a PI to make that change for the 2026 code. The system will be open for submission of PIs shortly after the 2023 code is published, likely September of this year and the closing date for 2026 PIs will likely be in September of 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.