article 501.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinbaldwin

When reading this article there are several interpretations that I have gotten from several people.I work for an electrical contractor that builds and remodels several gas stations all over the west coast.I am currently having a problem getting an inspection from a customer rep.The situation is that in a turbine sump for the gas station I installed a rigid coupling and a factory bent 90 before the seal off fitting for both the power wiring and the intrinsically safe wiring.The way my bosses and I interpret the code is that this article deals with the conduit that leaves the sump,i.e.(the convenience store end)and not the conduit that is actually in the sump,which should follow under class 1 div. 1 wiring methods.I am fairly confident that this is right because my company has been doing fuel sites since 1990,but there still is that doubt.I appreciate any feed back I get. thank you.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: article 501.4

Please forgive me. Sometimes I'm a bit thickheaded. I've read your post several times and I'm still not clear what you're asking.

Section 501.4 covers wiring methods in Class I locations - both Division 1 and 2. I think you are actually trying to describe the installation as it applies to a boundary seal described in 501.5(A)(4), but I'm not sure. Please clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.