Article 501.9 Fixed Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

conmgt

Class 1 Division 2 Fixed luminaires.
Would a vapor tight flourescent strip light qualify for this location. I'm thinking of the Simkar OV410 specifically.
The Article says that the fixture shall be protected from physical damage by guards or location. Would a wire guard suffice?
The Article also says that where hot sparks or hot metal might ignite vapors...a suitable enclosure or protective means shall be provided. I'm thinking the sealed plastic lens will suffice there.
The OV410 is described as a enclosed gasketed fixture equipped to tightly seal out vapor, moisture and dust. It's cover is a wraparound plastic lens attached with cam latches.
Any thoughts?

Mr. Bill

conmgt said:
I'm thinking of the Simkar OV410 specifically.

I don't think this fixture is appropriate for Class 1, Div 2. A fixture needs to have a UL rating for Class 1, Div 2 or better.

conmgt said:
The OV410 is described as a enclosed gasketed fixture equipped to tightly seal out vapor, moisture and dust.

The description I see says that it Resists vapor, moisture and dust. An enclosed and gasketed fixture doesn't make it air tight. Most fixtures that meet these strict UL ratings are almost always 2 levels of Ugly more then you'd rather install.

conmgt

Well...

Well...

the lights are going to be ceiling mounted in a room which contains an open face spraybooth. The end of the 2 lights enters 8 inches into the three foot zone above the booth as depicted in Fig 516.3(B)(2). Maybe I should just find a way to scoot them over a foot or so.
Thanks for the input Mr. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.