Article 625 Disconnecting Means

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
Hello again, Mike Holt forum.

If you have read one of my other posts elsewhere here, you may know that I have a co-worker, the motor pool coordinator, who constantly questions my well-above-code compliance on various issues. Recently, we have a group of farmers on this estate that just leased an all-electric Elise 900 skid steer. It’s a pretty cool invention for the light- to medium-duty farm work they do.

At any rate, the charger that came with the EV, pictures provided, is meant to be installed within the EV, but the one we have is too big to fit, so I am being asked to wall-mount it. It came with, what I believe is, a European or Asian, water-tight 63A receptacle and plug-n-cord setup. This is my first beige flag, but again, it’s a lease. I will not remove parts and risk voiding any equipment warranty without the manufacturer’s approval. I am also still waiting on an install guide to ensure there is nothing else special needed.

My co-worker is telling me that a breaker cannot be used to disconnect/de-energize the charger. However, the AC-DC inverters, which I had translated into English (thanks, chatGPT), recommend not de-energizing the charger while it is charging the equipment. So, as long as the battery management behind the EV seat shows 100%, it should not receive any more power. Then, shutting off the breaker or hitting the GFCI trip should be an acceptable means of de-energizing the equipment, allowing the farmers to safely remove the makeshift power cord from the charger to the EV (which is missing a handle, as pictured below).

Are there any articles I may have missed that I should look at that tells me I cannot use a breaker for disconnecting power to a receptacle for an EVSE or charger assembly?
9e3447bf1ee06571543799d37e364f24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
Not all the pictures went through. I’ll try again.
f24c55583963a569da5d33b8b83cc57d.jpeg

This translates to: Indicator Light Status

• Charging: Red light flashes
• Fully charged: Green light is on

Product Code: AHSA96302211070001

Safety Instructions

1. Keep away from flammable materials. Ensure good ventilation.
2. Use strictly according to the manual instructions.
3. Confirm the battery type before use.
4. Ensure AC power supply stability.
5. Do not move or operate the charger during the charging process.
6. Avoid turning off the power supply during charging. If you encounter any issues, please contact your dealer or manufacturer.

WTL9630ZBB Charger Basic Parameters

• Input Voltage: 220VAC ±15%
• Input Current: ≤14.5A
• Efficiency: ≥93%
• Power Factor: ≥0.98
• Maximum Output Voltage: 109.5VDC
• Maximum Output Current: 30ADC
• Applicable Batteries: Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery 109.5V 200-300AH
17af3af164bf1ff620c3f8cd36dece03.jpg

d250bf4f47cecf6b32dd2edfa087ba15.jpg

801911ddbea8a28f3027bf1503a45620.jpg

e7c25b225a6f4b272a12651bbdb948e9.jpg

a63d0a6c82dbca688fa3edd7f5e070fb.jpg

As you can see it looks like the charger was built in a garage that morning, using parts and ENT-type raceways to bundle and protect the conductors and communication cables.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If breaker is switch rated then it can be used to disconnect.

This product doesn't appear to be UL or otherwise Listed. That may be why it is described as being required to be installed with the EV as then the Listing requirement is different or non-existent. Seeing these one-off equipment for electric watercraft too with no Listing.

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
Yikes, you are only worried about whether the code required disconnect can be a breaker? Yes it can. That seems the smallest concern here.

Thank you. And it’s not the only thing I’m worried about. Lol. I’m responsible for the electrical work. Anything that happens because of the device that he leased is on him.

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
If breaker is switch rated then it can be used to disconnect.

This product doesn't appear to be UL or otherwise Listed. That may be why it is described as being required to be installed with the EV as then the Listing requirement is different or non-existent. Seeing these one-off equipment for electric watercraft too with no Listing.

The sub-panel I had was a square D homeline. So, I guess I’ll see if it is rated. Thank you. The manufacturer requested a three-phase 480v supply, but the street at this farm only has a single conductor going down the road, so trying to get three phases out here would be a whole can of worms. I've also seen a complete charger assembly with the flatter grey plug online but for electric forklifts. It was a Dutch brand, I think it said.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not so fast, find the article section that prohibits a standard breaker from being a disconnect. If a piece if equipment is within site of the panel the breaker supplying it is fine as the disconnect means without a SWD rating.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
It’s not… only their single pole 15/20 are. Back to the store in the AM…
SWD is a rating from UL that can only be applied to 15A and 20A single pole devices intended for switching fluorescent lamp ballasts.

UL 489 allows all breakers to be used as load break switches. There are additional requirements for switching motors while they are experiencing LRA, such as during starting.

WattsGood

Occupation
Maintenance Electrician
Not so fast, find the article section that prohibits a standard breaker from being a disconnect. If a piece if equipment is within site of the panel the breaker supplying it is fine as the disconnect means without a SWD rating.

The EVSE outlet is definitely within reach of the lockable sub-panel that has the 2-pole 50A GFCI.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
the charger that came with the EV, pictures provided, is meant to be installed within the EV, but the one we have is too big to fit, so I am being asked to wall-mount it. It came with, what I believe is, a European or Asian, water-tight 63A receptacle and plug-n-cord setup.
Whats the nameplate of this thing? 11.5kw ?
European IEC equipment that uses a 63A breaker is usually limited to 50A @ 230V (50hz) so I be inclined to treat it like a 50A car charger, probably needs to be on a 70A breaker.
I'd also probably put that entire thing in a giant Hoffman box or some type of vented NEMA enclosure.
EDIT I see in the photo a nameplate of 14.5A @220V X 3 units, assuming its constant current then it would be ~40A @ 240v (50A circuit).

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
One thing I see that MIGHT be causing some confusion, is that the blue plug/receptacle, called a "pin and sleeve" connector system, is NOT rated for "load break", meaning you CANNOT pull them apart under load. That might be where the mix-up is happening here. A circuit breaker for that size will ALWAYS be rated for switching duty, load or no load, so in fact you MUST open the breaker BEFORE anyone pulls that plug out.

The flat oval plug is called an "Anderson plug" for the DC side, also not rated for being disconnected under load.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
If they are going to be charging this thing daily, and needing to disconnect and then unplug it daily then it might be simpler to have them operating a handle disconnect near the plug rather than the breaker. (Breaker is okay as a disconnecting means).