article 680.31 and 680.32

Status
Not open for further replies.

glawson

NEC 2008 has added a paragraph to section 680.31 that requires storable cord connected pool pumps to be provided with an integral GFCI in the power cord. This is not a requirement of UL 1081 and I though they were the authority in this type of requirement. In the next section 680.32 they require all receptacles located within 20 feet of the inside wall of the pool to be protected by a GFCI. Does this mean the storable pool pump must be protected by at least two GFCI's? This really seems strange to me and I wish somebody could explain the rationale? I also do not understand why the NEC is trying to regulate the storable pool pump requirements when we have the UL 1081 standard that is and has been the industry recognized standard for this type of requirement for many years.

iwire

Staff member
This is not really a direct answer to your question but the NEC has been directing the manufacturing of many products from flat irons to window air conditioners to vending machines to hot water heaters etc.

I will see what I can find in the ROPs.

iwire

Staff member
Here is the ROP for this change, looks like we would have to go back to the ROPs for the 2005 NEC to get the real answer.

Notice that one of the panel members feels much like you do.

17-135 Log #3640 NEC-P17

Final Action: Accept in Principle in Part

(680.32)

Submitter: Aaron B. Chase, Leviton Mfg. Co. Inc.
Recommendation: Revise text to read:
680.32 Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters Required. All electrical equipment,
including power-supply cords, used with storable pools shall be protected by
ground-fault circuit interrupters.

Delete entire second paragraph of 680.32. Add new text as second line of first
paragraph:
The ground-fault-circuit interrupter shall be an integral part of the attachment
plug or located in the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the
attachment plug.

Substantiation: The above proposal was adopted by CMP-17 during the last
Code cycle, but was placed on hold by the TCC. The reason for the TCC hold
was that the Panel proposal (Log #CC1700) to address TIA 02.2 introduced
new material not presented during the ROP phase.
The intent of this proposal is to submit the panel?s proposal during the ROP
in order to have the panel?s position properly incorporated in the next edition of
NFPA 70.
Note: Supporting material is available for review at NFPA Headquarters.

Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle in Part
Change 680.31 to read as follows:
680.31 Pumps
A cord-connected pool filter pump shall incorporate an approved system of
double insulation or its equivalent and shall be provided with means for
grounding only the internal and nonaccessible non?current-carrying metal parts
of the appliance.
The means for grounding shall be an equipment grounding conductor run with
the power-supply conductors in the flexible cord that is properly terminated in
a grounding-type attachment plug having a fixed grounding contact member.
Cord-connected pool filter pumps shall be provided with a ground-fault
circuit interrupter that is an integral part of the attachment plug or located in
the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug.

Panel Statement: The panel accepts the submitter?s recommendation to add
two new paragraphs. However, these were combined and relocated to 680.31
for clarity.
The panel chose to retain ?All 125-volt receptacles ? barrier? in 680.32.

Number Eligible to Vote: 11

Ballot Results: Affirmative: 10 Negative: 1

Explanation of Negative:
HIRSCH, B.: The EEI/EL&P believe the current code wording amply covers
the GFCI requirements. The change does not offer any additional protection for
the public and in the case of pool pumps will require duplicate GFCI
protection. In addition, requirements for pool pump cords should be covered in
the appliance standards and not in the NEC. The submitter did not provide
substantiation for the change, but simply that the proposal was placed on hold
by the TCC during the 2005 comment cycle due to being new material.

glawson

If we supply a UL listed storable pool pump as per UL 1081 it will not have a GFCI as an integral part of the power supply cord, if the customer hooked this up to a receptacle that is protected by a GFCI circuit how could a NEC code inspector reject this?

iwire

Staff member
glawson said:
If we supply a UL listed storable pool pump as per UL 1081 it will not have a GFCI as an integral part of the power supply cord, if the customer hooked this up to a receptacle that is protected by a GFCI circuit how could a NEC code inspector reject this?

By citing the new code section simple as that. The inspector would be remiss in their duties if they let it slide.

The NEC does not require AHJs or inspector to accept listed equipment.

glawson

Does anybody else find it strange that the submitter of this new integral GFCI power cord requirement - Aaron B. Chase, Leviton Mfg. Co. Inc. - is a manufacture of all types of GFCI's including integral power cord units.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
glawson said:
Does anybody else find it strange that the submitter of this new integral GFCI power cord requirement - Aaron B. Chase, Leviton Mfg. Co. Inc. - is a manufacture of all types of GFCI's including integral power cord units.

Welcome to the world of politics. Many of the manufacturers are on the code making panels.

glawson

Could someone please tell me how having an integral GFCI protected power cord that is pluged into a receptacle that is also protected by a GFCI circuit is more safe than just having one GFCI. Looks to me to be a waste of the consumers money and could provide confusion as to which one tripped. Do these strange type of requirements show up often in the NEC code.

mpd

i think it is a added level of protection, how many storable pools you think are plugged in thru a window into a non GFCI protected receptacle, 99 percent of storable pools are never inspected and are done by homeowners, i think it is a good change

jwelectric

Maybe this new rule was due to this type of installation.

poolreceptacle.jpg

mpd

mike

great picture, that picture is the reason i think this is a good change, I always hate seeing a permit come into the office and the homeowner is going to wire the pool, even a simple storable pool can become a nightmare

mpd

welcome to world of lawyers & people doing stupid things and cashing in on being stupid

glawson

There are no amount of rules, codes or standards that will help this person out. Check the ladder steps and how close to the house the pool is.

Status
Not open for further replies.