Article 80?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

What is the purpose of Article 80 as being apart of the code itself? I understand that this provides a guideline for adopting countries and communities without administration, but shouldn't this be in a separate publication? It's sort of like the code is now its own judge and jury. Shouldn't the rules on what is required verses how to enforce what is required be separate? I know alot of communities aren't adopting 80 and it is only informative, but it doesn't seem to fit into the entire scope of the code.

charlie

Re: Article 80?

Article 80 is important from the standpoint of keeping the NEC as the premier and hopefully the only Code that covers most premises electrical wiring. By keeping it in the NEC and up front, it will be seen much more often by all users. After getting used to its location, the user will thumb by it just as quickly as the members of the Code panels, Table of Contents, and the other superfluous (to most users) material in the front. Some jurisdictions will use Article 80 to do the adoption, some will make changes to their own regulations, some areas will have a ground swell to make some changes to their laws because someone actually read it (I haven't), etc.

In the overall scheme of things, is it really that big of a problem to just thumb past Article 80? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.