Article 830.24 & Existing Installations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the CODE address the issue of working with existing LV installations?

EXAMPLE:
We have an existing installation where the previous cable installer did not support the data/voice cables as is now required by the 2005 code- they simply left them on the ceiling grid.

Does the CODE address the issue of whether or not we are required to bring the installation up to code?

We are recommending this to our customer, but are looking for NEC information on the issue.

Thanks,
Eric

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the initial installation was code compliant then it should be grandfathered in. You can't force someone to bring everything up to the current code which changes every 3 years.

Thanks Trevor.

That is understood, but we have a concern about liability. If we touch the existing system (we simply want to make terminations) but don't want the liability should something occur due to work not performed by us. In "electrical world"- the last person who touches the system is responsible.

I believe the code is silent on this issue- I don't find where it addresses the issue of existing installations of this nature.

Eric

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't' see this as a code issue. If you have a problem with the existing cables you have a few options. One is to fix the problem or you could state that the scope of your work makes no warranty for the existing installations which are no longer code compliant. Or you could walk away. Personally if the existing job was code compliant at the time of installation then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%, I simply wanted to avail myself of the vast resources & experience found here in "the forum".

I appreciate your input- have a great weekend.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.