ASCR as EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtiszeph

Hello, I have a customer who wants a receptacle and light down by his boat dock for a battery charger, running underground isnt an option. All he needs is a 120V 20A circuit, I plan on setting a pole and running overhead from a separate weatherhead at the residence. I am having trouble finding info on whether or not it is permissible to use overhead triplex and use the bare messenger ASCR wire as the EGC and the two insulated as the hot/neutral. Does the ASCR fall under the 'aluminum conductor' mentioned at 250.118?

Thanks for any help, I've done plenty of underground but havent really had the occasion to do any overhead spans so its kind of new to me

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The only "fly in the ointment" is that I don't believe there is any ASCR that is a NEC listed conductor.
The installation you propose is commonplace and, if inspected, is likely to be approved.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The bare is typically used as the grounded conductor and sized for such use. I can't think of any reason why the bare conductor would not be suitable for use as the EGC.

Augie covered the other issue of there not being any listed triplex conductors. However I suggest that the following language from Table 396.10(A) can be used to permit its use as the term "identified" only means that the product is recognized for the use. The thousands of miles of that product that are in actual use, makes it recognized for the use in my opinion.
Other factory-assembled, multiconductor control, signal, or power cables that are identified for the use

Status
Not open for further replies.