ATS Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I may need some help getting pointed in the right direction. My boss called me today from a generator job that he was doing repairs on and was describing to me the install and the problems within it. (I asked him to take good pics.) It appears that the house has a 400 amp meter-combo with two 200 amp mains. It sounds to me like the Square D that comes with the 6 or 8 space breakers, also. But that is on of the reasons I asked for pics. Anyway, the EC ran two 200 amp feeders to one 400 amp ATS. Corect me if I am wrong, but I can not envision a scenario where this is a proper install. It sounds like someone thought they were paralleling. He is going to talk to the HO because there are other issues, but I need chapter and verse code violation if someone asks. To me NEC is better at telling you how it should be done, but the real discussions seem to show up because it does not specifficly say thay something cannot be done, or at least that is where interpretation comes in.:smile: I guess you know what I am trying to say. :roll: I do not know if this was part of the original construction or if the generator was an add-on.

360Youth

Here is what I have so far:

"300.3 (B) All conductors of the same circuit [the 400 amp ATS being one circuit]*...shall be contained within the same raceway...unless otherwise perimitted in accordance with 300.3 (B)(1) through (B)(4).

(1) Paralled Conductors"

and

"310.4 ...shall be permitted to be connected in parallel (electrically joined at both ends to form a single conductor)"

*My words in orange

To me, the two 200 amp mains do not meet this definition, nor would the two feeders most likely not meet the 310.4 (1) requirement of "same length."

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
So you have (2) 200 amp breakers feeding the same terminals on a 400 amp ATS.

I think 240.8 is the violation.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.