ats generac

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Birken Vogt

All transfer switches seem to have a bridge rectifier on the coil(s), must run better on DC than AC.

One member on here ATSman may be able to answer better

The limit switch is there to break the pulling of the coil after the motion completes. Without the limit switch current will continue to flow in the coil and the coil dissipates 1 kw from my measurement, stuff will burn up quick like that.

Andre Proulx

Occupation
retired Master electrician
Thank you for your reply, what I am looking for is all the steps it goes trough when a transfer occur also what is trigging the tiner relay I see
wire 23 and 194 what is making wire 23 hot, I would like to hear from the ATSman when he has time. see my project below
15 Kilowatts 120/240 volts Single phase 4 cylinders air cold engine Onan in a metal box it has a motorized air inlet and a thermo contol air outlet
I install an electronic ignition the engine is power by propane gas and work very well
A 200 amps generac ats model RXSC200A 3
A Chanese genset controller model DC92DR MK2
any help will be appreciate many thanks for reading me.

Birken Vogt

Generac supplies +12vdc to wire 194 at all times

They ground wire 23 and hold it grounded whenever they want to transfer to generator

When they want to transfer back to utility, they release wire 23 and let it float

The relay and limit switches inside the transfer switch accomplish all the action

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
All transfer switches seem to have a bridge rectifier on the coil(s), must run better on DC than AC.

One member on here ATSman may be able to answer better

The limit switch is there to break the pulling of the coil after the motion completes. Without the limit switch current will continue to flow in the coil and the coil dissipates 1 kw from my measurement, stuff will burn up quick like that.
Thanks Birken. The DC voltage to the solenoid coils provides a greater pushing or pulling force vs AC during transfer of the main contacts. Your limit switch answer is correct. In a typical ATS the solenoids are designed for momentary operation (coil is wound for maximum force) and if a limit switch fails or the mechanism jambs, the solenoid coil stays energized and shorts out causing the solenoid and harness wiring to burn up. I have rewired many units; due to lack of maintenance the factory grease along with dirt dries up causing the mechanism to jamb in mid-position.
A real mess!!