ATS transfer switch load wire routing through meter base

Status
Not open for further replies.

echerbst

Service is 200 amp goint to generac service rates ATS transfer switch. Just wanted to know it allowed to route load back through meter base and into the house. Issue is that I dont have much room and if I have to break the pipe connection under the meter into the house its gonna suck. Might be able to use chase nipple and conduit body out of the transfer switch and a 90 to get back down into the pipe but gonna be super tight. Any other help and input appreciated.

View attachment gen.bmp

ceb58

Service is 200 amp goint to generac service rates ATS transfer switch. Just wanted to know it allowed to route load back through meter base and into the house. Issue is that I dont have much room and if I have to break the pipe connection under the meter into the house its gonna suck. Might be able to use chase nipple and conduit body out of the transfer switch and a 90 to get back down into the pipe but gonna be super tight. Any other help and input appreciated.

View attachment 7087

Read 230.7. The conductors after the ATS are now feeders.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Read 230.7. The conductors after the ATS are now feeders.

Agree that the conductors are feeders, but 230.7 applies to raceway or cable. The meter cabinet is not raceway and the feeder conductors are not in contact with the service conductors like they would be in a service raceway.

It seems wrong to have feeder conductors as the OP has proposed but can't put my finger on a code violation. I am sure some will do.

echerbst

Thanks for input guys. My thoughts were that the meter box is not a raceway and the feeder conductors going back into the meter box and down into the house panel would never be in physical contact with the the service conductors like it would be in a pipe or trough. But I think I and just get an LB out the the disconnect and then bend a 90 to get back into the pipe under the meter and into the house. This is prolly the better way to do it and not make inspectors go crazy. That way I wont have to bend the service conductors back up and over inside the meter base to get to the top of the box and into the transfer switch.

We had an inspection turned down for doing that. It was an upgrade of an existing install of a smaller generator. The original contractor had done that and got away with it. When we replaced the gen and ATS, we were failed. We had to drill a hole through a brick wall and into the panel. The local power company, Entergy, does not allow and use of the meter socket as a raceway for conductors not originating in the meter enclosure.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
our POCO does not allow metered and unmetered conductors in the same enclosure or raceway, other than the meter, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.