Attached garage sub panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlcguy

Hello,

First time poster here. Please excuse me if I am asking a question that has already been answered, and point me in the right direction if it has, please.

I have a wastewater treatment plant(WWTP) with an attached shop that could really use a sub panel in the shop. It will be fed from the main panel that is located in the same building. My question is this - do I need to hit any of the typical electrodes(building steel, etc...) at the sub, or is the EGC that I pull in with my conductors all that is required? Code references please.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the shop is attached, your equipment grounding conductor should be sufficient.
To cover most eventualities:
(a) does the shop have a structural steel frame
(b) does the main building have a structural steel frame
(c) if so, was either/both bonded to the service geounding electrode and are they
mechanically connected.

rlcguy

Thanks augie47.
(a) does the shop have a structural steel frame No.
(b) does the main building have a structural steel frame No.
(c) if so, was either/both bonded to the service geounding electrode and are they
mechanically connected.

This is a brick and cinder block building. I cannot find where the service is bonded to anything other than ground rods.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't see where you need anything but your equipmemt ground.

ratrod56

What if subpanel was in different bldg. Lets say a detached garage. Same Question. Would you need a bond to rebar before slab was poured or is gec good enough.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What if subpanel was in different bldg. Lets say a detached garage. Same Question. Would you need a bond to rebar before slab was poured or is gec good enough.

Bond to rebar in the slab is not required. Bonding to the rebar in the footing is required and is called a gec to a CEE (concrete encased electrode).

IMO, if there is rebar in the footer then you would be req. to attach to it in a separate structure such as a detached garage if there is a panel there.

Status
Not open for further replies.