attached or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortimer

third party inspector
Occupation
retired
If someone put an open walkway with a roof, to keep dry, from a garage 10' to a house, would anyone consider this attached?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
We call that a breezeway. Are you asking if that makes the garage "attached" to the house? I would say yes.

-Hal

Only if the breezeway is actually physically attached to the house and the garage at both ends.

Some breezeways are freestanding and the posts on each end fall just short.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Only if the breezeway is actually physically attached to the house and the garage at both ends.

Some breezeways are freestanding and the posts on each end fall just short.

JAP>

:thumbsup:
Just the walkway connection, even if concrete slab, is not enough to "attach".

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wow,
The way I have understood it is the garage is not attached unless it has a common walls and a roof. Just a roof is unattached.
I would check with your local building inspector.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The OP's description is not clear. If it's only a canopy or roof that is free standing on both ends it's not considered attached. But usually something like this is supported at each end by both structures. So in that instance I would consider it attached.

So which is it Mortimer??

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
From code perspective it goes deeper than just "attached".

If "attached" effectively creates a single building/structure our of what once was two separate buildings/structures, then you run into issues with multiple feeders/services supplying a single building/structure. There still can be allowances in code that allow separate supplies, with conditions, often ends up treating it like two buildings/structures, but which structure does the attaching component belong to may not always be so clear.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
From code perspective it goes deeper than just "attached".

If "attached" effectively creates a single building/structure our of what once was two separate buildings/structures, then you run into issues with multiple feeders/services supplying a single building/structure. There still can be allowances in code that allow separate supplies, with conditions, often ends up treating it like two buildings/structures, but which structure does the attaching component belong to may not always be so clear.

And if that is not clear enough I don't know what would be. :blink:

At least he didn't parrot another post in the thread as he normally does. :D

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.