Attention CA electrical contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIRT27

I wonder what action they plan to take to enforce it.

I thought they were supposed to really crack down June of 07, I still haven't seen it.

growler

Looks like California is hurting for money! Sign of the times I guess.

It's not just California. Contractors should start looking at what the IRS is planning for the future. Almost any business expense ( not just labor ) of $600 and over will require the fileing of a 1099 form.

This is going to make it harder for companies to do any under the counter type work.

It really sounds as if they plan to put the country back to work just doing paper work.

blingbling4r

We are getting hit with an State Revenue Dept audit. It has taken our accounting personnel 3 weeks to get everything together going back 5 years.

Talking to other people it sounds like quite a few more people are being selected for "random" audits. Funny thing is though my buddy found out he overpaid and actually got money back.

DIRT27

I was more wondering who's going to enforce it.

They have had years to get this program going. They had a good idea to require a license, but it all stopped there. I don't think in the 8-9 years since guys started to get licensed they have a had a plan of how they were going to enforce it or who is going to enforce it.

The CLSB has a ton of unlicensed contractors out there to keep them busy. The new one I like it the electricians on craigslist advertising general license #xxx-, using there journeyman license and not a contractors license.

DavidA

And I was just beginning to think I had wasted time and money when I got that silly little certification last year. Good to know it may actually be useful someday.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
They have had years to get this program going. They had a good idea to require a license, but it all stopped there. I don't think in the 8-9 years since guys started to get licensed they have a had a plan of how they were going to enforce it or who is going to enforce it.

The CLSB has a ton of unlicensed contractors out there to keep them busy. The new one I like it the electricians on craigslist advertising general license #xxx-, using there journeyman license and not a contractors license.

I couldn't agree more, I've been involved with it from the very beginning and was well aquainted with several of the people that helped write the laws and helped develope the tests.

But all along I've always felt that it was a "feel good" law, which is a law that can't be enforced or doesn't have any teeth for a penelty. If you didn't get your cert, no one was checking, so what difference did it make?

I can just see the letter now....Dear Building Official.....and I'll be out there enforcing one more state requirement that the state doesn't offer any training on, just like the energy code, and we'll find them and cite them and the state will collect the fines.

dmagyar

This only effects licensed contractors everyone else gets a pass

This only effects licensed contractors everyone else gets a pass

I got the same official notice, who's got that much work to keep anyone else working, just the unlicensed (almost contractors)??

Net result, everyone playing by the rules gets scrutintized that much harder. Everyone else, more profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.