Automatic control means

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainwireman

The application involved sub panels in a hallway. The wall switch would over ride the sensor controlled lighting but would not over ride the sensor control when the wall switch was in the "on" position. I wanted to have specifics to confront the contractor with.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The application involved sub panels in a hallway. The wall switch would over ride the sensor controlled lighting but would not over ride the sensor control when the wall switch was in the "on" position. I wanted to have specifics to confront the contractor with.

Wall switch will override the sensor to turn the lights off but not to turn them on? Your description is not clear to me.
At a minimum it would have to be possible to manually turn the lights on in such a way that the sensor could not turn them off again unexpectedly.
But if they are already on based on occupancy sensor, there would be no indication to someone coming in that they have to turn the override on before starting work.

One way to handle this would be to make sure that the lights nearest to the subpanels are all part of the "always on" night lighting circuit. The rest of the hallway could be turned off by the sensor(s).

captainwireman

Wall switch will override the sensor to turn the lights off but not to turn them on? Your description is not clear to me.
At a minimum it would have to be possible to manually turn the lights on in such a way that the sensor could not turn them off again unexpectedly.
But if they are already on based on occupancy sensor, there would be no indication to someone coming in that they have to turn the override on before starting work.

One way to handle this would be to make sure that the lights nearest to the subpanels are all part of the "always on" night lighting circuit. The rest of the hallway could be turned off by the sensor(s).

This situation is clearly a violation according to the 2011 NEC. The switch controlled the line in of the circuit to the sensors. Turning the wall switch on would enable operation of the sensors which then controlled the lights. When the sensors timed out, the lights would turn off even with the wall switch in the "on" position. I borrowed a current code book (mine was left at home and I am working out of town) after the replies given here. I confronted the energy management contractor with the code. They had no knowledge of this even though they do extensive work around the country. They are going to correct any future and present issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.