Automatic Receptacle Control ASHRAE 90.1 8.4.2 (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

My state (Florida) has adopted ASHRAE 90.1 (2013) which says the following about Automatic Receptacle Control:

8.4.2 Automatic Receptacle Control

The following shall be automatically controlled:

a. At least 50% of all 125-volt 15- and 20-amp receptacles in all private offices, conference rooms, rooms used primarily for printing and/or copying functions, break rooms, classrooms, and individual workstations.

My question is, what is considered an "individual workstation"? The term "individual workstation"or "workstation" is not defined in ASHRAE 90.1 (2013). Would this include any workstation with a computer? I have a laboratory type application in a College where the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is requiring this but I really can't see how they get that a laboratory needs this from ASHRAE 90.1 8.4.2 (2013). Any thoughts, advice, or comments would be much appreciated!

JFletcher

Not debating weather or your installation falls under that code, or if the automatic control receptacles are required there however if they are, and you're trying to find the cheapest way to get around it, wire in a few extra 8 gang boxes slam full of duplex receptacles and just automatically control that 50%

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Not debating weather or your installation falls under that code, or if the automatic control receptacles are required there however if they are, and you're trying to find the cheapest way to get around it, wire in a few extra 8 gang boxes slam full of duplex receptacles and just automatically control that 50%

That won't fly with most inspectors. They require the receptacles to be evenly distributed.

I guess the code specifically says "at least one controlled receptacle within 6' of each uncontrolled receptacle..."

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3672485.pdf

You can use the wireless receptacles so you don't have to run a second switched wire.

https://www.legrand.us/wattstopper/plugload-controls/wireless-plugload-control/wrc-plug-load.aspx

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
How about all the receptacles being on the timer? Are any required to be on 24/7?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
multiwire branch ckt to each recpt and split wire it
one on
one auto

is this allowed?

yes. T24 compliant in calif.

you run 3 wire MC to all the plugs, switch the red with a controller
tied to the occ sensor, and leave the other one hot. put in receptcacles
with the identifier on the plug face.

otherwise, you have to have a controlled outlet within 6' of every uncontrolled outlet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Since the controlled receptacles have to be identified, I don't see this rule as accomplishing anything other than a bit more work for electricians. The users will soon learn not to use the identified receptacles.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Since the controlled receptacles have to be identified, I don't see this rule as accomplishing anything other than a bit more work for electricians. The users will soon learn not to use the identified receptacles.

Just wait for the energy Police . Soon to a building near you!:blink:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
yes. T24 compliant in calif.

you run 3 wire MC to all the plugs, switch the red with a controller
tied to the occ sensor, and leave the other one hot. put in receptcacles
with the identifier on the plug face.

otherwise, you have to have a controlled outlet within 6' of every uncontrolled outlet.

Yes California's fault again. another ridiculous costly code. The one thing it is bound to do is increase sales on plug strips.

JFletcher

That won't fly with most inspectors. They require the receptacles to be evenly distributed.

I guess the code specifically says "at least one controlled receptacle within 6' of each uncontrolled receptacle..."

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/3672485.pdf

You can use the wireless receptacles so you don't have to run a second switched wire.

https://www.legrand.us/wattstopper/plugload-controls/wireless-plugload-control/wrc-plug-load.aspx

Well in that case I suppose I would put in two gang boxes everywhere, have one duplex receptacle auto and one regular, rather than split wiring every receptacle to be half automatic. Those wireless receptacles look neat they also look expensive compared to a regular receptacle. How do they figure cost wise?

One plus that I see of my way is that if multiwire branch circuits are not allowed by job spec, it's much easier (possible) to get four */2 MC cables, or two */2/2 w/single ground, in and out of a 2-gang box than a */3 in and out of a single gang box.

Would also cut down the number of power strips needed by quite a bit I would think

JFletcher

But if the switched and unswitched conductors are fed from the same branch circuit, is it really a multi-wire circuit? I think not.

Quite true and correct, however you still wind up with the same box fill issues running three wire cable into a single gang box. If it's 12ga wire, you have 6 deductions for hots and neutrals, one deduction for the ground, two deductions for the device, one deduction for the clamps... isn't that 22.5 cu in? If so and I have to use a two gang box anyway I would just put two receptacles in it... or look into the cost- comparison to the wireless receptacles.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have no idea how much the wireless receptacles are. I've never had to spec them here (we have the option of using ASHRAE or the IECC which doesn't require controlled receptacles.)

Generally, we have always used the IECC just to avoid this requirement.

Most of the companies that make this stuff are careful not to let the engineers know the price tag on the stuff they want us to spec.

JFletcher

A cursory internet search turns up the Legrand WRC-15-1-W (half controlled, white) at around $60.

Cheers, Wayne

thanks for looking and finding that, Wayne. For that price I'll buy two...

...commercial spec 20 amp receptacle for 1/10 price. even with the added cost of 2 gang boxes, mud rings, and the labor, I think one would easily still come out ahead using more standard practices.

however, if one had to convert an older building to meet new energy standards, those $60 automatic receptacles would be just the ticket with existing wiring

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Quite true and correct, however you still wind up with the same box fill issues running three wire cable into a single gang box. If it's 12ga wire, you have 6 deductions for hots and neutrals, one deduction for the ground, two deductions for the device, one deduction for the clamps... isn't that 22.5 cu in? If so and I have to use a two gang box anyway I would just put two receptacles in it... or look into the cost- comparison to the wireless receptacles.

Most commercial is done with a 4S box. The box plus the mud ring can accept the 12-3 in and 12-3 out. Regarding all of the various solutions, up to this point, most Engineer's have opted for split receptacles and most spec out the receptacles everyone is making that have a universal symbol for the switched half. However, the 6 foot rule isn't part of Ashrae it is California title 24, so I have also seen every other receptacle in a room controlled. Regarding how, Ashrae has guidelines and the most typical ways are with an occupancy sensor or with a time clock. Either is allowed.

Shujinko

My state (Florida) has adopted ASHRAE 90.1 (2013) which says the following about Automatic Receptacle Control:

8.4.2 Automatic Receptacle Control

The following shall be automatically controlled:

a. At least 50% of all 125-volt 15- and 20-amp receptacles in all private offices, conference rooms, rooms used primarily for printing and/or copying functions, break rooms, classrooms, and individual workstations.

My question is, what is considered an "individual workstation"? The term "individual workstation"or "workstation" is not defined in ASHRAE 90.1 (2013). Would this include any workstation with a computer? I have a laboratory type application in a College where the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is requiring this but I really can't see how they get that a laboratory needs this from ASHRAE 90.1 8.4.2 (2013). Any thoughts, advice, or comments would be much appreciated!

Ok guys, great commentary on a requirement that is hard to sell to a building owner since I haven't seen any hard information/data if automatic receptacle control is actually saving energy in the long run. But we aren't addressing the original question, what is considered an "individual workstation" per ASHRAE 90.1 8.4.2 (2013)?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Cubicle,

they want you to have all non essential items to be automatically turned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.