Availability of old breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sceepe

I have noticed that on many of my commercial renovation projects that require the electrician to install new breakers into existing panels I get the line that "Sorry partner, they just don't make them FPE breakers for that panel no mo..."

I find it hard to believe that someone doesn't make a compatible breaker. (Even if its at a premium price). Google seems to find lots of FPE breakers.

So that begs the question, are old breakers that hard to come by or is my electrical just refusing to look very hard?

Second question, what about re-manufactured / refurbished breakers. Anybody trust them?

bonding jumper

Re: Availability of old breakers

Replacements exist for these breakers. They run from 80-100 for each breaker. People are probably telling you that they don't exist because its not a typical pratice to install breakers not manufacturered for the panel they were intended for. They are not UL listed but are recognized by another type of national standard. The stab lok panels had a few problems, one was that the breakers weren't tripping, the other was that the stab lok feature does not hold the breakers to the panels well and can fall out or have a loose connection between the buss and the breaker causing heat. I believe the refurbished breakers are created to trip at the desired amperage, but the problem with their connection to the buss is still prevelant because you are not replacing the panel, just the breaker. Due to the cost of one replacement breaker being around 100, why don't you just replace the whole thing? its probably more cost efficient if you have to put in a couple breakers cuz a new panel will cost you about as much as 2 refurbished breakers. Here's a good article that has a section on replaceing these breakers or just the whole panel.
FPE Panels, Hazard or Hype?

edited by moderator to correct long ULR

[ March 26, 2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

ccha9219

I have done commercial renovations and needed to replace an FPE 800A main..to the tune of $2500.00
there is a company that sells reconditioned FPE breakers and I think Seimens makes the more common amp ratings talk to your distributor

tonyi

The Big Oranges in south FL stock FPE replacement breakers. Not cheap, but very readily available down here.

jmmyers

For the life in me, I can never figure out why someone would want to try and replace breakers in FPE panels.

These panels have some pretty well documented problems. Considering the cost of replacing the panel, I would entertain replacing the panel altogether, instead of replacing a few breakers.

Less liability for you, since you will be doing the work. :D

Joe Myers

Status
Not open for further replies.