Average life of distribution equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkp

What is the average life expectancy of distribution equipment? I have used 35 years for switchboards & panelboards, 40 for dry-type transformers and 30 for motor control centers. This is always adjusted depending on equipment condition and preventive maintenece.

Thanks,

bphgravity

Re: Average life of distribution equipment

The equipment may last that long, but will it be obsolete and not to current standards after that long?
It seems now days equipment is only good for about one code cycle before it no longer meets the minimum requirments!! :p

bennie

Esteemed Member

ANSI/IEEE C57.96-1989 Life expectancy of dry transformers.

Ae,Be = constants to the naperian base for the appropriate life expectancy curve of each insulation system.

I don't want to go there ;)

bennie

Esteemed Member

kkp: I am no help with your question. There is many variables in the calculation of life expectancy, degradition, and decomposition of material.

There is engineering standards and related math for determining the time of the events, but the device will be trash before I could do the math.

jtb

It was that great mathematician Leonhard Euler who discovered the number e and calculated its value to 23 decimal places. It is often called Euler's number and, like pi, is a transcendental number (this means it is not the root of any algebraic equation with integer coefficients). Its properties have led to it as a "natural" choice as a logarithmic base, and indeed e is also known as the natural base or Naperian base (after John Napier).

There is the remarkable property that if the function ex (known as the exponential function and also denoted as "exp(x) ") is differentiated with respect to x, then the result is the same function ex. The proof of this can be seen in many textbooks on elementary calculus.

To answer this question we need to evaluate

lim
n ? ?
(1 + 1/n)n.

This quantity turns out again to be e - the same base value with the property that the gradient of the graph is unity at x = 0.
Now limn ? ? (1 + 1/n)n can be expanded very nicely using the trusty old Binomial Theorem. We find that
e = 1+ 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1!
+ 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2!
+ 1

3!
+ ... + 1

r!
+ ....

This series is convergent, and evaluating the sum far enough to give no change in the fourth decimal place (this occurs after the seventh term is added) gives an approximation for e of 2.718.

bennie

Esteemed Member

You're good, I think :)

A dry transformer has a life expectancy of 20 years. However there are many variables.
To calculate the actual life expectancy...the loading, duration, and ambient temperature must be known.

[ June 04, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: bennie ]

Status
Not open for further replies.