Avg price for installation in new construction finish work

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here we go I'm tired of scratching my head and anyone local would never give me a straight answer. With this there are so many variables people have probably lost hair thinking about it. But generally speaking for new residential if supplies where provided by contractor for everything except lighting what would be acceptable prices for this short list to keep it simple. I know the variables how many can you put in in an hour and figure your hourly. Well there's more to it than that supply runs, setup, cleanup, admin, travel ECT. I'm trying to see where others are at even if it's Alabama or Ohio.

Price per
Toggle switch-$?
Three-Way switch
Four-way switch
Dimmer
Three-Way dimmer
Duplex outlet
Indoor gfci
Outdoor gfci with feedthrough cover
Flushmount wall/ceiling lighting indoor 8-12'
Flushmount indoor 12-16'
Pendent lighting
Simple utility lights
Ceiling fans
Outdoor flush mount wall/ceiling 8'-12'
Flood lights 16'+
Wall Mount outdoor lighting

Even if I could get a couple straight answers with a few I would know I'm ballpark elsewhere. I had been doing remodels, additions and service and know my prices are to high for new construction or at least I believe they are when my finish labor and small materials outlets/switches/etc. not fixtures is close to $5000 on a $2700 sqft home that's not to far off just being code compliant basic layout.

A sample of my finish work pricing for a rehab remodel- 15 switches or more would be $20 per standard switch, $35 to hang a flush mount light, $75 for a ceiling fan

I would be fine with my pricing but I would like to actually get work in new construction and besides being a good electrician and honest you have to be competitive. The reason I realized there might be a error was because I was doing research and on the national home builders association they attributed that on average "lighting fixtures" (I'm not sure if they count outlets, switches or whatever else in this category but there was only one other "electrical wiring") counted for an estimated 1.2% of overall building cost and this means everything. This would leave the home I'm looking at now at an estimated $417k new construction home and I do not see that especially for my area. Granted I cannot and will not budget a job based on a NHBA average.

iwire

Staff member
If you do not want to post this info in a open forum you could always pm me :happyyes:

OK, I will get started.

How do you intend to make money if the GC supplies the stock?

We make money on both labor and material.

My understanding of residential construction is that the labor margins are already very tight so to give up the profit on the material seems like a bad deal.

stevenje

OK, I will get started.

How do you intend to make money if the GC supplies the stock?

We make money on both labor and material.

My understanding of residential construction is that the labor margins are already very tight so to give up the profit on the material seems like a bad deal.

Here is something else to think about if the GC furnishes the material. What happens if there is not enough of something or it is the wrong product. Will you be paid to make another trip back to finish the project because the GC got the wrong material or not enough of it? How will it impact the job schedule or other jobs that are scheduled? Who is responsible for making up the list of material for the job? If it is you, are you being paid for that time? Who is responsible for packing up, moving and storing what material that is left over at the end of the project? Will you get paid for that time? What happens when something fails? Will you be able to charge for your time if it is material related? What happens to you labor rates if the GC furnishes material something that takes you longer to install than you bid? Will you be able to charge for that time?

As you can see, the material aspect of the project can impact the labor on many levels besides just installing it.
You control the labor on the job, but with out the proper material for the job the labor grinds to a halt. Just ask any EC on how much conduit gets hung without a box of couplings. Two guys on a lift, 2000' of conduit and no couplings. This equals no profit. Material is one of the life bloods of the project and something you should control and be paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.