AWM cables on industry machinary

Status
Not open for further replies.

NGR001

Hello,

I would like to understand if AWM type of cables can be use on industry machinery.

My employer (oversea) build and sell equipments use for semiconductor industry. Currently, most of cables (interconnect cables) used on the system are AWM type of cables. These interconnect cables deliver AC power (100V ac with ring terminals at both end), DC power (from 2V to 48 volts with Amp connectors). Wire gauges for the interconnect cables are rated appropriately according to power requirement for each electrical module.

After reading the NPFA 79 code and information from NPFA website, I found that "type AWM is not a wiring method, not a cable for NFPA 79 purposes, and is not permissible except as part of a listed assembly".

We are expecting to sell a system to US and based on the NFPA79 code, it looks like AWM type of cables are not permitted. Am I correct? What consider as "part of a listed assembly"?

Thanks you!
Sheng

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: AWM cables on industry machinery

Re: AWM cables on industry machinery

AWM is not one of the conductor types specifically allowed in NFPA79, but I seem to recall any listed conductor can be used.

I went and read the tortured logic at the NFPA site regarding how they figure type AWM is not allowed in industrial control panels.

article

Keep in mind this article, while it is authoritative, is not a part of any code, and as such is not enforceable.

A listed assembly means something listed by an organization that is considered an NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory). The most common one in the US for electrical equipment is UL. UL will list the control panels for industrial control under its UL508a program. This basically means UL has found that the product is safe for its normal use in accordance with UL's requirements for that use.

It therefore appears that you might well be allowed to use type AWM in a UL508a listed control panel, but not in one that is not listed. In fact, I quote from UL508a.

29.2.1 All internal wiring of power circuits shall have a temperature rating of 90?C (194?F) minimum and shall be one of the following:
d) Appliance wiring material;

However, the listing of the control does not extend outside the control panel, so you would not be allowed to do any wiring outside the control panel itself in type AWM.

Personally, I suggest you use wire that is more suited to the work such as MTW.

<5/11/06 url still don't work - too big>

Status
Not open for further replies.