Back to back installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

Which section of building code prohibit this? Does it only apply to fire-rated walls or any knid of walls and partitions. What is the minimum seperation between the boxes? It seems NEC 300.21 only refers to fire-rated walls only.

Thanks.

physis

Re: Back to back installation

There's also 314.17, 314.20 and 314.21.

I'm not sure about a minimum sepearation.

Edit: Does what apply to only fire rated walls?

300.12 is only requiring fire stopping methods in fire rated walls but the first half of the paragraph isn't restricted to fire rated.

[ August 04, 2005, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jerryb

It depends on which building code you are working under. According to the 2003 International Building Code you would find all requirements under Chapter 700. Section 712 describes "Penetrations" and 712.3.2 Exception 1 talks about steel boxes in a fire rated wall.

jkim780

300.12 is only requiring fire stopping methods in fire rated walls but the first half of the paragraph isn't restricted to fire rated.
Sam,
It seems to me that this whole section talks about the fire rated walls & assemblies including the FPN.

Jerry,

We follow IBC 2003 here. I have looked at the chapter 700 and it only talks about the fire rated walls and assemblies. So if the wall is not fire rated or smoke barrier, then back to back installation (like switches or outlets in commercial buidling office partions) seems to be acceptable..Is that fair statement?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

In a non-rated partition there would be no problem with back to back installations unless sound proofing was a concern.

Roger

physis

I have a typo, 300.12 should be 300.21.

I disagree that all of section 300.21 refers to fire rated walls. It just doesan't say that it does. Nothing is said regarding "fire rated" until the second half of the paragraph where it says that fire stopping methods are required for fire rated walls.

Fire stopping goop (for instance) isn't required in a not fire rated wall.

I don't see the FPN having anything to say that would change that. (It couldn't anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.