Back-up Power for Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer whom wants to back up the essentials for his building. So when I asked him during a visit "What would you like backed up when utility falls out?" his response "Toilets." I was a little struck by the comment, but then as we were talking he has a well and septic. He isn't concerned about anything, but backing up the well pump as the septic is gravity fed. What would be your thoughts? I offered him a generator package that would include lighting and the little kitchenette to provide other essentials to building, but didn't like the cost and would like to be around $2k for the project. Have you ever come across such situation? What was your remedy?
Here are a few options I had thought about:
1. Creating a manual transfer switch outside the building where the well is fed from and allowing the to use a portable generator for the connection? Not a huge fan of this as there is alot that goes into making everything safe for the lineman and then to make sure the customer does this right.

2. Creating a UPS system for the well pump and saying we have 6 flushes per hour, what the demand would be for the well to run and use the UPS system to provide the power? This could get pricey....

I'm kind of at a loss here. Any Ideas?

ron

Article 702 loads can be anything a person wants.
A cord and plug connected generator is even better, then there is no shot at backfeeding the grid unless he tries to backfeed the house with it and a double headed extension cord (widowmaker)

synchro

Occupation
EE
Here are a few options I had thought about:
1. Creating a manual transfer switch outside the building where the well is fed from and allowing the to use a portable generator for the connection?
You don't want to start the generator with a load connected, i.e. when the well pressure switch is ON because of low system pressure.
Also, the well pump should be disconnected before the generator is turned off so that the pump does not coast down with the generator. While not a huge problem if done infrequently, there will be metal-to-metal contact in the pump hydrodynamic bearing if it coasts down and this will cause extra wear.
To address these issues I suggest having a contactor with Start/Stop buttons between the generator and transfer switch. Then the customer would have to push the Start button after getting the generator running, and would be told to hit the stop button before shutting the generator off.

Status
Not open for further replies.