Bad Fluke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I have a Fluke 112 digital multi-meter. It has worked great for several years.

The other day, the selector knob twisted clean off. I was able to disassemble the unit, and remove the stub from the broken shaft, leaving a 3/16" hex-hole where the knob should go.

I called Fluke today, and they want me to send them the broken meter for "repair". I tried to explain that all I need is the knob. It was like talking to a brick wall. Seems that this particular model has been discontinued, and no parts are available for it. They would replace it with a new model 115, and of course bill me retail ($200) for the "repair" ....

I was able to download a copy of the user's manual, as well as the calibration manual. There is a page showing several user-replaceable parts in there, but the knob is not one of them!! :mad:

I can use a 3/16" allen wrench in place of the knob on the meter, so it is still usable to me. It's just frustrating that Fluke can't or won't sell me a new knob, instead wanting to sell me a whole new meter.

Anyone here had similar frustrations when attempting to deal with Fluke customer (no-)service?

The other day, the selector knob twisted clean off.

Temper temper :grin:

I can use a 3/16" allen wrench in place of the knob on the meter, so it is still usable to me. It's just frustrating that Fluke can't or won't sell me a new knob, instead wanting to sell me a whole new meter.

Given:

Seems that this particular model has been discontinued, and no parts are available for it.

It would be a matter of can't. If they don't have the parts, they don't have the parts.

Anyone here had similar frustrations when attempting to deal with Fluke customer (no-)service?

So you are getting mad cause you broke your discontinued model and fluke wants you to pay to get a new one? Perish the thought of having to pay for new equipment!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a Fluke 112 digital multi-meter. It has worked great for several years.

The other day, the selector knob twisted clean off. I was able to disassemble the unit, and remove the stub from the broken shaft, leaving a 3/16" hex-hole where the knob should go.

I called Fluke today, and they want me to send them the broken meter for "repair". I tried to explain that all I need is the knob. It was like talking to a brick wall. Seems that this particular model has been discontinued, and no parts are available for it. They would replace it with a new model 115, and of course bill me retail ($200) for the "repair" ....

I was able to download a copy of the user's manual, as well as the calibration manual. There is a page showing several user-replaceable parts in there, but the knob is not one of them!! :mad:

I sent one in a couple of years ago and needed them to repair the lcd window (unreadable) and also wanted them to fix a problem I had with the switch/knob. When I would turn it on I would have to turn it off then back on to get work. When I got it back the lcd worked fine but I still had the problem with the switch. I called them and asked why they didn't repair the switch. They told me that I would have had to have the whole meter gone through and recalibrated for them to find that. I explained that I told them that before I sent it in but to no avail. I paid almost $200.00 for the lcd repair alone. I don't understand such a good meter and poor customer service.

GUNNING

Just got a new Fluke 902 today via usps. No thumb grease on the wheel, little plastic cover on the LED strong jaws that meet and stay shut. I can now measure capacitance. $160 pp. To think my van had to get ripped off to get me a new meter. Upgraded from a 336. HO HO HO!

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Pawn shops.

When my son and I were doing resi wiring for Habitat for Humanity, I bought him a used Fluke from a pawn shop. They had plenty -- perhaps you can find your mystery knob there?

kbsparky

....It would be a matter of can't. If they don't have the parts, they don't have the parts.

So you are getting mad cause you broke your discontinued model and fluke wants you to pay to get a new one? Perish the thought of having to pay for new equipment!

I believe that it was their design defect that caused them to discontinue this particular model. I went on ebaY looking for a replacement, only to find someone trying to peddle the same model with the same broken knob!!

I don't want to reward bad design with more sales.

They should at least offer better replacement knobs, since the rest of the meter works just fine.

iwire

Staff member
I have had one Fluke meter break on me, the display on my 87 was messed up, the meter had cost me $325 and was only a couple of years old.

I called Fluke they said $90 to fix it no mater what, so I shipped it to them. It came back quickly, it was fixed, it was cleaned, it was calibrated and they sent me like $51.00 of my $90 back.

So to me Fluke service was awesome. :cool:

foqnc

I had a 73 III and an 87 III both had display problems, I mentioned it to my Snap On guy and he said no problem. He took them and I had them both back within 2 weeks, calibrated and I only paid shipping.

Melvin

Fluke 337 RMS clamp meter

Fluke 337 RMS clamp meter

My brother-in-law has a 337 RMS fluke meter and recently noticed that once you turn the meter on to the continuity/ohm position, the buzzer goes off and will not shut off. He thought about maybe purchasing or seeing if someone has a circuit board/parts to fix it instead of purchasing a new one. Has anyone else had this kind of a problem with a fluke of any sort? I thought about checking for cold solder joints or something along that line of problems, but it might just be better to replace internal parts, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.