Bad underground service

Status
Not open for further replies.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Have a private residential 200A underground service that lost a leg between the transformer and meter. The service is over 25 years old and the length of the triplex is between 200 and 300 feet. The POCO for that area simply said "not us, have fun". Anyone have any tricks for finding a break underground? A POCO from another area is going to return a favor and try to help us out with a new tool they recently got but have not had success with it on the one instance they tried it(they don't know how to work it yet I'm sure)

charlie

mdshunk said:
A thumper is generally the tool used to locate underground breaks in URD.
A thumper will over stress 600V cable. He is discussing new electronic equipment that will determine where the open point is located without damaging the cable in the process. :smile:

mdshunk

charlie said:
A thumper will over stress 600V cable. He is discussing new electronic equipment that will determine where the open point is located without damaging the cable in the process. :smile:
Maybe, but they use it here every day for buried secondary. A TDR would be better.

nakulak

if the cable is so old that one leg went bad, why would you want to leave the other legs in ? replace the entire cable.

iwire

Staff member
nakulak said:
if the cable is so old that one leg went bad, why would you want to leave the other legs in ? replace the entire cable.

I was thinking the same thing, I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience about that as well.

If you do find it and fix it will you be back next year for another repair?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I use an Ideal 62-142 that is about 15 years old. I beleive it was made by Progressive and about $1200 back then. I am sure there are others like it. The Ideal & those similar will put you within inches, even on 1/4 mile run. No damage to the cable. A cable locator is also helpful but not always needed for short runs. A TDR will work,(I have a new to me one on the way) but I wouldn't recommend it for first time out unless you have played with one a lot before hand.

Find the first fault, dig it up, search for a second, then repeat before you make any repairs. More than two or three splices in that run will warrant a new underground. Consider pvc conduit or DB if you are allowed by local AHJ.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
nakulak said:

First I would like to find the break and what caused it. If it is deteriorating insulation allowing the AL to corrode and cause the break than YES we rip everything up and replace the wire. If it is a situation where maybe some ledge cut into the wire causing it to fail than a patch would be OK.

I don't know if the URD is in pipe or not so attempting to find the problem and fixing it is my high hopes right now. If I have to run a new service it will be under a road, driveway and 50' of wooded area.

Occupation
EC - retired
Subsequent repairs are most likely caused by the guy that just dug up the last one. We clean back along the cable by hand and check for any damage that we may have done. Dents, nicks or abbrasions are cleaned, painted with scotchkote, maybe wrapped with 33 and painted again.

Crimp connections, heat shrinks or gel filled kits are my favorite.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
ptonsparky said:
Oh, I see you are from Maine, good luck with rocks, we don't have many in this area. Use clean backfill.

Ledge, rocks, public sewr, blacktop, woods and newly installed landscaping are against me.. In my favor is a adjoining POCO with a new tool (that they don't know how to use)

Do you know a website that explains the operation and fundamentals of the testing device from your previous post?

Marc, what is a thumper?

Occupation
EC - retired
New landscaping just stands out and screams "Look here 1st!!"

No, I don't know of a website. Not reallly much to it. A signal or tone generator is connected to the faulted wire and earth via a probe. A receiver connected to two probes on an "n" shape handle picks up the signal pulse as you stick the probes into the ground. A little analog meter flicks in the direction of the fault. Basically saying "Go this way stupid." Once past the fault it tells you to "Back up stupid" Moving the handle until there is no deflection in the meter tells you to "Dig here". Conduit makes things much harder.

You must have all ends of the cables disconnected from line & load.

charlie

benmin said:
. . . what is a thumper?
It is a device for putting a high voltage on the cable for a very short duration and walking out to hear and feel where it "thumps". These used to be used on medium voltage cables but were sometimes used on 600 volt cables. We do not use thumpers at all any more due to the danger and damage factors. :smile:

mxslick

charlie said:
It is a device for putting a high voltage on the cable for a very short duration and walking out to hear and feel where it "thumps". These used to be used on medium voltage cables but were sometimes used on 600 volt cables. We do not use thumpers at all any more due to the danger and damage factors. :smile:

Bold added by me..

It would really generate a big enough pulse for one to feel it? Wow.

mdshunk

mxslick said:
Bold added by me..

It would really generate a big enough pulse for one to feel it? Wow.
Oh yeah. You can hear the thud, and you can definitely feel it. You actually find the fault by walking around and the "locater" is the soles of your boots.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
POCO kept stalling and out of desperation I tried to locate the break with testing items on my van. I found the break in the lost leg with a ideal wire finder kit that I use to find wires in walls. It was under a small tree they planted 2 monthes ago. It is obvious that the back hoe used to plant it did the damage.

Tree gone! service repaired. Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.