Baldor motor outlet box needed?

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
Have a couple questions about a class 1 division 2 motor and pump.

So they changed existing motor and pump seen in picture #1 to the motor and pump in pic#2

The existing motor had a ground lead that ran from j box into the sealed motor. The new one did not. I did not notice this until I got the conduits put back together and got ready to terminate….

As I was also looking for the wiring diagram the pump guys handed me the outlet box that they removed from the motor.

Question 1 - will the rigid conduit be a sufficient means of bonding ? or am I going to need to break everything back apart install the outlet box on the motor and get an egc to the terminal inside the outlet box 3” away from the jbox?

Question 2 - when the pump guy removed the the outlet box did he void any type of warranty on the motor?

Motor is 240 single phase 2 hp. When I spoke to Baldor the rep said the motor and outlet box are listed separately… he suggested the box go back on if it were to be sent in for warranty, but wouldn’t give direct answer if it being taken off would void it…

I have looked over 501.30 a and b and I don’t believe I meet the exceptions…

I also looked of 430.12(e) but i don’t beleice that the exception would apply here as well…

I am Hoping that this is a compliant install with out the outlet box going back on and running a egc 6” from j box to motor outlet box!?

I think installing the outlet box on the motor and running the egc would be a much safer install, and will pry end up being the method I chose to fix this but I wanted to learn something and find out if it was or wasn’t compliant..

Thanks in an advance I really appreciate all of you and your help!

Attachments

• IMG_3850.jpeg
    IMG_3850.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3878.jpeg
    IMG_3878.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 28

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
reading into 250.118 I see that I can use rigid metal conduit as an equipment grounding conductor. I don't see anything in this section that that stops me from using rigid metal conduit as an equipment grounding conductor for this class1 division 2 motor. does anyone have any code sections they can point me to so i can further investigate if this is a compliant or non-compliant install.

other facts I left out were that this motor is fed by a 2 pole 20 amp breaker with 12 thhn.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I would like to see the motor's nameplate. Since it is single-phaase, it is likely required to be identified for Division 1. That sets up several other requirements beyond bonding. See 501.125(B)(2).

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
I would like to see the motor's nameplate. Since it is single-phaase, it is likely required to be identified for Division 1. That sets up several other requirements beyond bonding. See 501.125(B)(2).

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
This is the outlet box

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpeg
    IMG_3882.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 9

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
Unless I have the area Misclassified…. The motors are inside a containment next to bulk fuel tanks

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 4

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
. if Install outlet box back on the motor, then hard pipe it back to the outlet box I can run an egc and should be compliant, or are there mor violations then just my missing egc? Thanks for the input I appreciate the help from everyone!

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
You need to see the classification documents that are required by 500.4. Area classification is not a DIY thing.
So the owner of the plant would need to provide an area classification drawing? So the materials and install methods of the NEC are used to design and construct the electrical system… i unfortunately am in house electrician in a rural area, and I’m sure the company I work for is not going to do that… I have never had any type of prints to work off of….