Ballast problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghelec

I have a commercial customer who has a gym with F96T12 2 lamp fixtures in it. We replaced all the lamps with F96 T 12 DX Alto lamps ( commonly called daylight) and the old magnetic ballasts started going out. We replaced them with the new electronic ballasts and they are burning out. We checked our voltage and had 110v-113v. Will the electronic ballasts not operate on the lower voltage like the magnetic ballasts or do I need to look for another problem?

3-D

Seems to me that if the ballast is rated for 120 volts, it should be designed for 10% variance high or low. Main difference I've seen between magnetic and electronic ballasts is if they are remotely located. You can mount a magnetic ballast 100 feet from the fixture and it will work, whereas a lot of electronic ballasts won't work unless at the fixture.
How about fixture kits with 4 lamp electronic ballasts and 4 T8 lamps...more light output for a lot less energy. Also, not that expensive and quick to do.

RLyons

Is there a difference in lamp wattages?
I have noticed putting say a 32 watt bulb in a fixture that has been running 40 watt bulbs tend to cause ballast issues even though the ballast says it is rated for either.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the lamp type being used match lamp types supported by the ballast?

Keep in mind T12 lamps will sometime disappear, or at least become more difficult to come up with.

mgookin

Ballasts are a common issue. Maybe one of our resident professors could write up a ballast check list to become a future sticky under lighting?

ouchjbh

Occupation
Electrician
Ballast problem

I use Phillips ballast 120/277 volts with T8 lamps and have no problem. I work in a hospital and maintain all interior lighting (68,000 lights).

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a commercial customer who has a gym with F96T12 2 lamp fixtures in it. We replaced all the lamps with F96 T 12 DX Alto lamps ( commonly called daylight) and the old magnetic ballasts started going out. We replaced them with the new electronic ballasts and they are burning out. We checked our voltage and had 110v-113v. Will the electronic ballasts not operate on the lower voltage like the magnetic ballasts or do I need to look for another problem?
Does the gym by any chance do a cold start of the lamps each morning, or is the interior temperature kept up (50F or more) during the night.
From what I have heard these particular lamps do not cold start very well and that could be causing extra strain on the electronic ballast. A magnetic ballast would be less sensitive to starting problems and lamp flickering, but might still be damaged.

mdwalker

ballst problem

ballst problem

Does the gym by any chance do a cold start of the lamps each morning, or is the interior temperature kept up (50F or more) during the night.
From what I have heard these particular lamps do not cold start very well and that could be causing extra strain on the electronic ballast. A magnetic ballast would be less sensitive to starting problems and lamp flickering, but might still be damaged.

Does the fixtures have a good ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.