bare gound in conduit? is it o.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky1974

Hi, Is it o.k. to run a bare ground conductor in rigid nonmetallic conduit? The job in question was a 100 amp feed to an out building.#2 conductors with a bare #6 in 2" pvc.I didn't think this was correct but in looking for a code reference that says you can't , I Couldn't come up with one. Thanks

peter d

Re: bare gound in conduit? is it o.k.

Not a problem. No code reference forbids bare grounding conductors.

But I may get walloped with some obscure code reference that I don't know about. :D

bphgravity

310.2(A) states that conductors shall be insulated. The exception would include section 250.119 for equipment grounding (bonding) conductors. This would mean that grounded conductors cannot be bare yet they are in SE cable? 338.100 permits the bare conductor in SE cable but says nothing about what you are permitted to use it for.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
338.100 permits the bare conductor in SE cable but says nothing about what you are permitted to use it for.
230.41 :cool:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by websparky:
What if this is a feeder and not a service?
Then IMO it would have to be insulted,

I assumed the OP was asking about a grounding not a grounded conductor, now I am not so sure. :confused:

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

If this is a 3 wire circuit to the outbuilding and the #6 is used as the grounded conductor, then it must be insulated IMO.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Would spitting in the trench be sufficient, or would the Primer of Curses need to be employed?

Stupid feeders. :mad:
angry-smiley-044.gif

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tx2step:
Bob -- why would you want to insult some poor defenseless feeder. What did it ever do to you? What do you have against feeders? :D :D :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Stinkin' no good lousy ****'s! They oughta go back to feederland where they came from, the bums! The lot of them!

I go straight from Service to branch circuits just to spite those lousy things! :mad:

Edit to add: I ripped 215 out of my book too!

[ August 02, 2005, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Status
Not open for further replies.