Baseball Field Lighting Service

arnettda

I was contacted by my School System to redo the service for the Baseball Field Lighting system. The building is old and they want to replace it or get rid of it and I will build a service pedestal of some type. The service is attached to the building. The service is a 480/277 CT cabinet with two Fused Disconnects used as both a service disconnect and the switch that turns the Lights on and off. One for the infield and one for the outfield. Each Service rated disconnect feeds a breaker panel at the base of each pole which then feeds up the pole to the group of fixtures at the top of the pole. The panels at the bottom of the poles are daisy chained together. The Light fixtures have never been converted to LED and I am working on finding there exact wattage.
I believe this is a Legal installation. Maybe not the proper use of the service disconnects? What are my options for redoing the service and is the use of the Service disconnects like a switch code compliant or how would you do it now?
Thank you

If they're even contemplating replacing the lights (with LED, I'd assume), the entire old design is probably wrong. Without replacing the lights/etc, I'd think about installing contactors at each pole and run the control leads back to the main panel. I'd also forget the idea of two separate services switches.

How old is everything? Could be that most of it is end-of-life anyway; install LED lights and much smaller panels & wires, cut the consumption, etc.