Baseboard Heater Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Has anyone ever seen this issue with baseboard heaters? The picture shows a three foot, 750 Watt, 240 Volt heater. Could it be the quality of the paint? I'm stumped.......

Attachments

• _20151128_163247.jpg
    _20151128_163247.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
Picture isn't the greatest but are you talking about the dark spots on the wall above the heater?

Indoor air quality probably is a bigger factor, your heater is just "burning off" some air borne contaminants so to speak.

This happens with other heater types as well as in homes with central forced air systems from what I have seen.

Wood burning appliances in the place will contribute, people that burn a lot of candles will have some of this.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah.....The dark, flame looking spots. There are numerous BBH's in the house and most of walls look like this.

big john

It's called "ghosting" and the most common cause is dirt getting pulled into the convection current created by the heater.Pop off the cover and see if the fins are full of dust.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the replies. This is an older house with BBH as the only heating source. I will advise the homeowner. She wanted me to replace the heaters but I was reluctant thinking it wasn't an electrical issue.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To add to the Big John's reply regarding ghosting, as most heating units are customarily located on an outside wall, when the unit turns on the cold temp will attract the heated dust like a magnet. I've seen this a lot in my church. Some of the outside walls in the nave area are cinder block with 1" poly-styrene insulation between 3" furring strips. Over 5 or 6 years, with candles burning and the smoke adding to the dust you can see grayish stripes on the walls where all the furring strips are located. If you look at the inside walls you cannot see where the studding is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.