Baseboard heater run

JC58

Occupation
Consultant
Looking for some advice. Came upon an old house with 240v baseboard heating. There is one run that consists of a 30 amp breaker on 10/2 that goes to a junction box and splits to 2 separate 12/2 runs that each go to a separate mysa thermostat. One of the thermostats controls 2 heaters totally 2500 watts (10.85 amps) and the other controls a 2000 watt (8.3 amp) heater. Does anyone have a problem with the 10/2 to 12/2 split? I also called the mysa company and they said it should be fine because the thermostats are rated to 3800watts each and 20 amps. Even though each thermostat is handling way less than 20 amps each. They terminate at. 30 amp breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The 12./2 on a 30 amp breaker would be a violation as this does not meet the tap rule or the 240.4(G) exceptions.

nizak

Looking for some advice. Came upon an old house with 240v baseboard heating. There is one run that consists of a 30 amp breaker on 10/2 that goes to a junction box and splits to 2 separate 12/2 runs that each go to a separate mysa thermostat. One of the thermostats controls 2 heaters totally 2500 watts (10.85 amps) and the other controls a 2000 watt (8.3 amp) heater. Does anyone have a problem with the 10/2 to 12/2 split? I also called the mysa company and they said it should be fine because the thermostats are rated to 3800watts each and 20 amps. Even though each thermostat is handling way less than 20 amps each. They terminate at. 30 amp breaker.
Would it be possible to easily just add another circuit to handle the single 2000W heater?

You could wire it into the J box and not have to touch anything else.

JC58

Occupation
Consultant
Tks for the responses. Yeah that’s exactlly what I was telling the client as the 12/2 runs as well as the 20amp thermostats are not protected by the 30 amp breaker. It’s been many years since my ABC training but just wanted to make sure I wasn t missing something as the client swears it “was approved”. Even though the max continuous draw of the heaters is around 17.5 amps its technically above the 80% rule as well.

Yes the way it is set up it would be easy to run another 20 amp service that heater and that way if they ever need to add to it later it would be easy. This is western NY, there is no shortage of cold up here in the winter.
tks again for the confirmation.