Baseboard heater shared circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

Hello all!

Baseboards are supposed to be on their own circuit, but if an 120volt electric baseboard is hardwired to an exisiting circuit, would the on/off call for heat of the baseboard create surges that would cause issues with computers on surge bars in an home application? I'm curious what issues there would be sharing a 120volt baseboard heater hardwired to an exisiting 120volt ciruit in a house.

Thanks!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A permanently-connected load cannot exceed half of the circuit's ampacity. Beyond that, the general rules apply. Beyond that, it's a design issue.

Whether such a switching load affects other loads must be seen. If I had my druthers, I would want my computer system on a dedicated circuit.

dicklaxt

A permanently-connected load cannot exceed half of the circuit's ampacity. Beyond that, the general rules apply. Beyond that, it's a design issue.

Whether such a switching load affects other loads must be seen. If I had my druthers, I would want my computer system on a dedicated circuit.

Larry explain to me what a permanently connected load is:confused:I would have thought any load hard wired would be a permanently connected load:-?

dick

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry explain to me what a permanently connected load is:confused:I would have thought any load hard wired would be a permanently connected load:-?
You've got it. I should have said "on a circuit that also supplies receptacles."

Status
Not open for further replies.