Baseboard heaters no motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 750w 120V single phase baseboard heater in commercial setting has resistant element and no motors. I looked at NEC 2014 section 424.19 but I thin 424.19(A)(B) are for heater with motor either over 1/8 hp or without motor over 1/8 hp I.e has to have motor.

It is protected by breaker in panelboard not within sight and hard wired. Thermostat is not suitable for disconnect

What about for only resistive baseboard heater no motor does it need local disconnect within sight or panelboard breaker serve as disconnect?

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Odd that the thermostat does not have an"off" position but ,if not, then 424.19(B)(1) would apply.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the option
424.19(B)(1) Heater Containing No Motor Rated over 1∕8 Horsepower.
The disconnecting means specified in 424.19 or unit switches
complying with 424.19(C) shall be permitted to serve as the
required disconnecting means for both the motor controller(s)
and heater under either of the following conditions:
(1) The disconnecting means provided is also within sight
from the motor controller(s) and the heater.
(2) The disconnecting means is lockable in accordance with

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Odd that the thermostat does not have an"off" position but ,if not, then 424.19(B)(1) would apply.
If I recall, the single pole thermostats do not have “off “ just an extremely low setting where as the double pole version does have “off “position. One pole is actuated by temperature and the second pole microswitch is depressed at the off setting.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Honeywell makes 1 pole stats, no off position digital stats. They are nice but can't serve as a disconnect. But they are much more accurate that the standard two pole

Status
Not open for further replies.