basement wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlight

I see a lot of older homes where romex is run in conduit along the basement (concrete) wall in conduit. However, when it gets to the ceiling joists it comes out of metal conduit and is then attached to ceiling joists. What kind of bushing/protector is needed where conduit ends? Also, what are the acceptable or most commonly used conduits for this application today?

bphgravity

Re: basement wiring

Check out 300.16(A) and (B) for this issue. Basically, you need to use some sort of insulating connector or bushing where the cable emerges from raceway to open wiring.

For NM cable, 334.15(B) provides the raceways which the code permits for protection from damage. :)

wayne123

I always use an emt connector or coupling on the end of the conduit to protect the NM. I don't know if there is a manufacturer that make a bushing for this application, but it sure would be a good idea. :p

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I may be the only dissenter here, but I don't think I have ever used a connector or bushing when sleeving NM. If there is no connector at either other end of the conduit and the NM is not stripped of its jacket then the NM is sleeved. No connector or bushing is required. Just make sure you ream the ends properly.

-Hal

iwire

Staff member

Hal you could get picked up on that.

300.15(C) Protection. A box or conduit body shall not be required where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing that is used to provide cable support or protection against physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion.
You do not need a bushing just a fitting will do.

By the way I do not think the Arlington one is listed for line volt use. ;)

[ April 26, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

web page
This is the website for a photo of Arlington's # 8600 rx to emt fitting. I believe this is the correct fitting to be used as gserve mentioned.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

quote by iwire
By the way I do not think the Arlington one is listed for line volt use
Bob, I cannot find anything at UL that indicates this bushing is not for line voltage. They are listed under FKAV.E20643. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, maybe I'm missing something :D

iwire

Staff member

It may have changed, but in Arlington's ads in EC&M they always made clear that they where not for line voltage.

It is entirely possible that they are now listed for that too.

I do use them often in sizes 3/4" to 4" for voice/data applications. :cool:

[ April 26, 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jemsvcs

You can spend the extra money in using connectors with bushings, but your local supplier should be able to get you some bushings that slip right on the end of your conduit (and they are available for cheap).

Status
Not open for further replies.