Basement wood shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Rater

Will be wiring 80% of resi basement for a whole array of equipment. My question is since it's a concrete floor should I GFI the receptacle cicuits or will the machines cause a lot of nuisance trips? I'm leaning to the GFC's.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Basement wood shop

I would say that the GFCI protection would be required in a basement wood shop.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Receptacles in unfinished areas in residential basements generally require GFCI protection.

Steve

pete m.

Just a question........... would 500.5(d)(1) come in to play in this setting?

210.8(a)(5).........." Unfinished basements....work areas and the like."

[ September 19, 2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: pete m. ]

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

would 500.5(d)(1) come in to play in this setting?
I don't think so. THE FPN for this section mentions woodworking plants. The concentration levels in a dwelling wood shop IMO would never be high enough to require Article 500 wiring methods.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by pete m.:
210.8(a)(5).........." Unfinished basements....work areas and the like."
I would not consider a basement workshop that had walls and a ceiling to be "unfinished". However 210.8 (A) (5) says

"Unfinished basements ? for purposes of this section, unfinished basements are defined as portions or areas of the basement not intended as habitable rooms and limited to storage areas, work areas, and the like"

This strange definition of unfinished would seem to require GFCIs in any area of the basement not finished out as a living space. Unless you could convicne yourself exception 1 or 2 was applicable, and I just don't see that.

D.Rater

The walls will be finished, but not the ceiling,and it's the naked concrete floor that's my real concern.

jes25

For a cuople of 9 dollar GFCIs I would feel better and anyhow charge the customer 15$ for the part you paid 9$ for and act like you did em a favor which you did, plus I would interpert the code as required anyhow. :D

[ September 19, 2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: jes25 ]

templdl

I have protected all of the he 120v outlets with wither GFCI outlets of breakers because I could and not because I had to. So if cost is an issue then whether or not you install them becomes an issue. If cost is not an issue just go with GFCIs.
My 240v machines are not GFCI protected however. The are either connected with twist lock plugs of directly wired.
I have had no nuisance trips which have been known to be a problem with motor loads.

D.Rater

Thanks all; Templdl, cost not an issue, it's the nuisance tripping that's my concern.H/O DOES have dust collector that's 240; are you saying not to worry about shock hazard (no gfi) ?

benaround

D.Rater,

Another safty concern would be,what happens if a power outage occurs,When the power comes back on will equipment restart without warning or will it take 'another' push of the start button?

templdl

D.Rater,
I just made sure my 240v equipmet enclosures were bonded to the EGC whether twist lock connected of directly wired.
benaround,
Good point that can be easily overlooked. What you are refering to in applying magnetic contactors or motor starters with 3w control. With such an arangement should there be a loss of power the machine will not restart when power is restored. The start PB must be pushed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.