Basic knowledge and skills for new hires

Aosborne

New User
Occupation
Electeician
Looking for some ideas to create a class for new hires at the company where I work. I'm not the person to run a true apprenticeship. I'm help out new guys get a leg up while in the field. The company is predominantly commercial work with some multi-family dwellings. The class will be for new guys who have limited to no electrical knowledge. The idea is that two times a month I will lead a four hour "class." I want to do two hours of classroom/open discussion and the other two hours more of a hands on experiance. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

__dan

Banned
New hires, no prior electrical experience, for commercial and multifam (guessing that's new construction so pretty fast paced with low bids to get in and then (stuff that old school experienced tradesmen, might object to).

Four hours / month for training them.

I would start with four hours of going back over and taking their work apart to see what problems may be seen, but that's not the class part.

Buy them at least one set of good sweat wicking Tecasafe shirt / pants so you are showing them at one thing that works, for them to survive at the job while they progress. If you're not willing to do that, well, training sled dogs ...

Electrical is so vast no one knows it all but the way to get there is a lifetime of self study. Could you teach the hunger to learn more from self study. I see people with all ranges of experience getting beat up for no reason.

Make sure they get their apprenticeship hours, plenty of good food, water, sleep. Breaktime to eat. I see shortcuts taken there. During the class they should be in comfortable chairs and eating well so it's a twofer, paid time off their feet to eat and have class. I would be looking at the guy who knows how to take care of himself by eating during break, in this class, and not the guy who sees class holding up his smoke break.

Electrical can be fun and if not they're doing it wrong. Do you know this and can teach that. If it's not fun, teach how to protect from the hazards, that's dust heat noise lack of food / water, and not to just smoke their way through the sled dogging it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Hire me. I love teaching both practical theory and good work practices.

(And learn how to spell "electrician" correctly. ;) )

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I teach a first year apprentice class. I don't think I could do a four hour stretch, two hours a class is enough for me and the students. Open discussion goes about five minutes because nobody talks, it's like being one the first ten people at a wedding reception. Doing the hands on thing means pretending to do at night what you are already getting paid to do during the day and it's not like you can set up anything realistic like a 200' wire pull, that leaves bending conduit, wiring a transformer, and hooking up a motor.

You need a solid idea of what you want to communicate and be prepared to do it with no feedback from the audience. It helps to have a curriculum. Mike Holt has good materials and the best slides, IAEA has some decent stuff.

garbo

Looking for some ideas to create a class for new hires at the company where I work. I'm not the person to run a true apprenticeship. I'm help out new guys get a leg up while in the field. The company is predominantly commercial work with some multi-family dwellings. The class will be for new guys who have limited to no electrical knowledge. The idea is that two times a month I will lead a four hour "class." I want to do two hours of classroom/open discussion and the other two hours more of a hands on experiance. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
I would look into Mike Holts vast amount of books & vidios and purchase some. At my local great IAEI several of the board members provide remote training classes. We had one of them teach safety & proper use of PPE to BSO & basic maintenance techs ( they only are allowed to replace ballasts, receptacles and luminares switches ). I had to do an OSHA 10 on line course to renew my electrical license. Might want to get your safety department involved. With the over 1,000 changes in every new NEC book you have to have an on going continuing education classes. In my area the local IBEW union added a year to their apprenticeship approximately 25 years ago to thoroughly cover everything. To cover your company when you provide training have workers sign in and take a test or quiz at the end of every training day.

PCBelarge

Occupation
Electrical Training and Consulting
Aosborne,
Great idea! I agree that 4 hours will be too much. 2 hours will work better for you and your students. Most students are teachable, there is a small percentage that will waste your time, they think they will get an automatic raise.
1. PRIDE should be the first topic, and repeated often. An example of pride is good for the guys.
2. One of the issues is you may have men who are at different levels. One of the ways to deal with that is to give the experienced guys a chance to help out. It will go a long way toward helping you. The guys will most likely take several classes before becoming responsive to you - if you show them you are really there to help, after the first month -they will not stop asking questions.
3. Let them know that this is no guarantee to get a raise. Remember teaching is not a race. LET THEN KNOW - YOU ARE THERE TO HELP THEM.
4. Try to find out what they are working on and design your classes with that in mind.
5. Each class should start with definitions - 2, maybe 3.
6. Not sure what the language(s) situation is there. Where I live, it is multicultural. Very, very difficult to communicate.
7. Have questions written down in the handout for each class. No fill in the blanks, keep with multiple choice. You are not trying to hurt them, but teach them. Some guys will ask the same question several times over a period of time. I never hesitate to help them. Remember you choose to do this. They REALLY need the help.
8. Topics to teach are many, you have a great choice for help, on Mike's site. Reach out to him, he may have some good ideas.
9. If you can stick it out for enough time and you learn how to do this, the reward to you will be amazing!!
9. If you have any question, I can also help you. No charge.

Good luck to you and your Students.
Pierre

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Safety, including lock-out/tag-out. Distribute tags with their names & photographs. It's a small thing, but it'll let them know that they're bona fide members of the team. Attitudes are huge. Instill good ones.

Never, ever, ever show that stupid picture with three fat guys trying to squeeze through a sewer pipe. Start with atomic theory from Day One.
(atoms consist of nuclei surrounded by electrons; electricity is electrons in motion)

PCBelarge

Occupation
Electrical Training and Consulting
Safety, including lock-out/tag-out. Distribute tags with their names & photographs. It's a small thing, but it'll let them know that they're bona fide members of the team. Attitudes are huge. Instill good ones.

Never, ever, ever show that stupid picture with three fat guys trying to squeeze through a sewer pipe. Start with atomic theory from Day One.
(atoms consist of nuclei surrounded by electrons; electricity is electrons in motion)
I agree with drcampbell. Lack of Theory is a reason so many have a hard time with this profession. I have never seen the pic LOL!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I agree with drcampbell. Lack of Theory is a reason so many have a hard time with this profession. I have never seen the pic LOL!
Agreed. It is much easier to remember the what if one understands the why.

Buck Parrish

Eight hours a month is a little exsessive. I would just tie it into a 15 minute safety meeting once a month maybe make it 30 minutes. Then kick them back out in the field and back to work. They'll learn, we did.
A supervisor should be able to weed out the ones not catching on.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
All this info is good. Just keep in mind, you want to get these young folks working... As a educator i've learned you can only fill the glass so much. So beginning sessions should be the basics.
What to expect, what the company will expect of you and safety... Then start with what wires, boxes and pipe. You are hiring mechanics first- then confuse them with theory.
Field training seems to take care of basic theory and safety...