Basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmoc

A friend is building a new house. I have poured through the archives but couldn't find the answers to these questions directly (sorry if it bores you veterans). Certainly a certified electrician will perform the work so worry not.
Config is: pole mounted xfrmr, buried 200A, 120/240V service to meter base 250 ft away.
1) I would like to use (2) 2/0 copper conductors in parallel for each leg.
2) If I remark(tape) can I use green RHH wire?
3) what is recommended loss design point 5%?

macmikeman

Re: Basic questions

You can use tape to re identify if # 6 or larger. Voltage drop is not regulated by code, It is recommended that total drop from service not to exceed 5%.

[ May 12, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: macmikeman ]

johnmoc

Thanks for the reply.
Also:
Is it standard convention that a 200A, 120/240V service provides two 100A legs (200A total)

If yes to above, for a given length of run does one select wire size for 100 A (logical to me) or 200A?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Is it standard convention that a 200A, 120/240V service provides two 100A legs (200A total)
No. A 200A service provides 200A on each leg. You probably want to select your wire based on the total load you expect the house to draw, with some added capactiy for future growth.

A 200A service is capable of providing 200A * 240V = 48KVA.

Steve

physis

I don't think I would use paralell conductors.

At 200 amps and 250' 4/0 would have a voltage drop of 2.5%.
250 MCM would be 2.1%.

Typically you want 2 percent or less to the service. Assuming there wont actually be a 200 amp draw from the service I think 4/0 might be a good size. The voltage drop would 1.9% at 150 amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.