Bath 2 bulb heat lamp with fan..fan turns on by itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi..checked out an old bath 2 bulb heat lamp with exhaust fan.
Operates from a under over decora switch.
Customers wife says with lamps on (fan switch off) while taking shower after a brief period of time the fan turns on and of and on and off etc...

I checked switch, checked connection at unit, visually looked at wiring running to lamps and fan and moved wires around... I didn't see anything???

I mentioned maybe with the heat of the lamps that something might have been expanding an contracting but I didn't see anything that would touch..

Also mentioned when showering maybe the steam moister did something which we both kind of dismissed.

I went to the truck and the owner came running out saying he turned on the shower and with the bath steam the fan turned on... sure enough it did..

He opened a window to remove moister, I removed the bulbs with fan still running.... eventually the fan turned off..

I have no Idea except maybe a bad new decora under over which I doubt, tonight I'm thinking is it possible the wiring is compromised from age and with the moister the voltage is going from one conductor to another that its touching???

Was also thinking,..... there's some type of bulb Like hvac wire in and out bulb laying on top of the light bracket section, so I'm thinking is it some type of humidity detector??

I found a unit on google.... it shows this bulb and calls it a fan thermostat ( item 20 )... are these fan thermostats wired through the light switch leg so that if the fan is off the fan will still come on at over temp when the heat lamps are on ??? https://www.storeforparts.com/NuTone/9427P-R01

I was curious earlier in the day and called the owner to ask if maybe there was a humidity detector which I didn't see, and ask the home owner if originally before he changed the switch to decora if the fan would come on by itself and he said no.

Am I on the right path that the fan is also fed through the light through a t-stadt which closes at over temp without the fan switch needing to be on??

Thank you

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The Nutone units we installed years ago had a thermostat that would turn the fan on automatically to cool the heat lamps. You could either wire the fan to the same switch as one of the heat lamps or you had to provide a constant power leg if separate switching was desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.