Bath Circuit recepatacle outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
A collegue asked a question that I could not answer. The basic question first concerned a limit on the number of bath rooms (resid) that could be supplied by one 20 amp circuit, assuming only the bath recepatcle outlets were being fed by that circuit. My initial reaction was no limit. Then he muddied the water by asking if the 3 watts/sq ft for rsidential general lighting load would apply. Although I doubt you would see it in the real world, but Code-speak would you be limited to 800 sq of bath on the one 20 amp bath circuit ?? :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Pierre C Belarge said:
Augie
The bathroom receptacles are not included in the General Lighting Load (3Watts/sqft).
See 220.14(J)(1)

(Based on 2005 NEC)

look at '08

wirebender

I really don't see how a requirement (3 VA sq. ft.)for load calcs has anything to do with the bathroom circuit. We have already furnished enough circuits to the residence to satisfy this requirement. The bath circuit is in addition to the required number of circuits.

Even if I felt the bath circuit was limited by the 3 VA sq. ft. rule I would keep in mind that there is another circuit in each of these baths which would supply some more VA sq. ft.

Now if I had a 1200 sq. ft. single bathroom I would probably run a couple of circuits to it. :D Well, at least a circuit and a half.:D

charlie

No additional load calculations shall be required for such outlets.

No additional load calculations shall be required for such outlets.

augie47 said:
look at '08
OK, it says:
(J) Dwelling Occupancies. In one-family, two-family, and multifamily dwellings and in guest rooms or guest suites of hotels and motels, the outlets specified in (J)(1), (J)(2), and (J)(3) are included in the general lighting load calculations of 220.12. No additional load calculations shall be required for such outlets.

(1) All general-use receptacle outlets of 20-ampere rating or less, including receptacles connected to the circuits in 210.11(C)(3)

210.11(C)(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits.

This tells me that in the bathroom branch circuits that no additional load calculations shall be required. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
charlie said:
As usual, you first reaction is correct. :smile:
I agree.

I don't want to reopen old debates, especially ones that I do not recall having won :roll: , but there are some (not to be named :wink: ) who would assert that the design of circuits is not constrained by the manner in which service, feeder, or branch circuit calculations are performed. In other words, these (unnamed) persons believe that there is no link between articles 210 and 220. :smile:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
charlie b said:
I agree.

I don't want to reopen old debates, especially ones that I do not recall having won :roll: , but there are some (not to be named :wink: ) who would assert that the design of circuits is not constrained by the manner in which service, feeder, or branch circuit calculations are performed. In other words, these (unnamed) persons believe that there is no link between articles 210 and 220. :smile:
I 'fess, I have argued that you perform load calcs to size the service, but the installation can conform to actual usage. If the NEC had intended actual receptacles-per-circuit limitations, it would have been easy enough to include a table.

If I place only two or three receptacles on a circuit, do I have to add another circuit for the "other" ten or twelve, or can I simply distribute them among other general use circuits? I don't believe the code specifies circuit quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.