Bath Exhaust Fan responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

finster1

What is the feeling out there on who is responsible on a new home with the bathroom exhaust fans and then the second big qustion is who is the responsible party for ducting them....Most of the residential I've done so far to date the fans I installed were provided by homeowner and ducted by HVAC guy cause Ididn't want no part of this other than wiring but I am curious do most of you guys in the residential market take care of this.
If so then here are my questions:
Who provides and choses type?
Who does the ductwork?
If we are responsible for the ductwork where can I get more info on how to?

mdshunk

That question has come up on other forums regularly. The answer is varied, and seems to be mostly based on tradition or local licensing laws. In my area, nobody wants to do it, so the electrician typically vents the fans. Go over the border from me into Maryland, and the HVAC guy must vent it. Same with the clothes dryer. I normally end up venting that too, but the codes on that are completely different than the bath fan.

jmsbrush

In Fl, It really doesn't matter who buys the fan, I buy them so I can add a mark up.
The HVAC company is responsible of venting the fan here in FL.
OF course you are responsible for the electrical connection.

Always read the prints because allot of times it will state who is to provide the fan.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It varies here too. Usually we vent them. Through the roof, wall, soffit whatever the situation dictates. I really wouldn't object to the HVAC guy doing it but they usually want no part of it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'll mount it and wire it, but I refuse to duct it or penetrate exterior walls.

Celtic,

Is that by personal choice? If you were doing a simple bathroom remodel you would hire an HVAC contractor to install the vent?

celtic

Celtic,

Is that by personal choice?
Yup....right in my contract:
EXCLUSIONS:
This proposal does not include concrete, forming, painting, patching, trenching, venting and sealing of roof or wall penetrations

If you were doing a simple bathroom remodel you would hire an HVAC contractor to install the vent?

I would defer back to GC ~ he can hire the HVAC guy or have one of his men do it.

A "simple" bath renov. could be a 2nd or 3rd story job....I'm not dealing with giant ladders...give the money to the other guy....he can deal with the various shingles and siding [vinyl, cement, aluminum, cedar, brick and block, etc]....and the sealing of same.

revolt

I was informed by an inspector, that you can install the fan and wire it. You need to have a contractor registration # to vent it.

480sparky

I supply it and wire it. That way, I can mark it up, and the warranty is mine.

If I don't supply it, then there's no warranty, and that fact is specified in the contract. I also have a no-duct clause.

WJR

In the Chicagoland area, it's pretty common for the electrical contractor to furnish and install the bath exhaust fan. The HVAC contractor furnishes and installs the vent. Since the vent is already hanging there, the electrician will usually connect the vent to the fan. The HVAC contractor usually returns the favor by making the final electrical connection when they are installing the A/C unit. The whip is already there so making the final connection is no big deal. It's a rare act of compromise which saves each other a trip.

As far as what type, that's really on a case by case basis. If it's for a down and dirty, no frills estimate, then use a cheap economy fan. If it's for a custom, you might want to get some direction from the builder. Often times the model will be specified in the prints. Either way, make sure that your formal proposal includes what type of fan you have included in you estimate.

Last edited:

electricalperson

depending on the job i always vent the bathfan and rarely vent the dryer. some jobs the hvac contractor vents the fans. i dont have a problem drilling through a house to vent a fan or anything for that matter

tonyou812

I like to use panasonic 80 cfm if they want a cheapo. I would personally have a hard time installing a fan in someones home and than telling them they need a Hvac contractor to vent it.

bikeindy

We have added Bath fans for people and done the whole job, I don't mind I charge enough for it. The last new home we did the HVAC guy told me we had to vent the fans. I asked his reasoning behind it, and he told me we hook up the electric to it so we vent it. I said really I hook the electric to your furnace as well should I do the vents for it? I made a deal with him if he gave me the markup on the furnace I would vent the bath fans. Guess who vented the bath fans.

Legrand

We'll do whatever you want for the pay. Now how about the junction box on that panasonic, seems a little small for all the wirenuts? I hate them.

ctmike

Gee lets think... i ask the contractors what does the V in HVAC stand for that generally settles who shoud do it

Status
Not open for further replies.