Bathroom circuit added to load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Add new section:

220.52(C) Bathroom Circuit Load. A load of not less than 1500 volt-amperes shall be included for each 2-wire bathroom receptacle branch circuit installed as required by 210.11(C)(3). This load shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subject to the demand factors provided in Table 220.42.

Substantiation:

The small appliance and laundry circuits are required to be used for load calculations, why not the bathroom receptacle circuit?

ryan_618

Re: Bathroom circuit added to load calculation

In my opinion there is no chance this will pass without a strong substantiation. I think you will have to include some statistics of typical loads that are encountered in the bathroom to show panel 2.

charlie

Absolutely not!

In my opinion, the load from the bathroom will not normally be hitting the service at the same time as the other major load in the home. I feel like the way the loads are calculated now are over sizing the existing services (that is from an electric utility perspective). What would be the purpose of adding another 1500 watts to a service or feeder calculation? :D

jimwalker

Think this out first.What if i ran that dedicated HR to each of 4 bathrooms.Your way adds 6,000 watts.Just what is the chance of 4 hair dryers at same time ? Also i would then want a deduction on my lighting load since a general branch does not supply that circuit.
Why do you feel any of this even necesary.When is the last time you had a problem on a new home with tripping the main ? I have never even came close to a problem.
All your doing is adding more unneeded codes to solve nothing :roll:

Lets not forget not to many years ago that bath receptacle was on general lighting 15 amp breaker and i don't recall it ever being a problem

[ October 21, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

kiloamp7

No.
For the same reasons as those stated by the previous posts.

bphgravity

Okay, Okay. You talked me out of it. You guys are a tuff sell. I was thinking more of consistency with required circuits to required loads.

With the addition of a required bathroom receptacle circuit a few code cycles back, I took that as an indication that bathrooms have special demand needs and therefore should be considered separate from the general lighting load, though it never required that in Article 220.

charlie

Bryan, I hope this doesn't mean that you will give up. We want good proposals made, we just didn't agree with this one. :D

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by charlie:
Bryan, I hope this doesn't mean that you will give up. We want good proposals made, we just didn't agree with this one. :D
I agree; I also agree with Bryan that "consistency" is a valid "first cause" to consider a making a Proposal. It may turn out it isn't necessary in final review, but its certainly worth the look. This is exactly what we want to encourage.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Charlie is saying the Edison Electric Institute who he represents may not support this proposal.
Perhaps a way to view a proposals success is which representative (from a group) on the CMP would vote for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.