Bathroom Circuit Art 210.11-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I am a little confused on this article. Is this saying that no other outlets can be part of this circuit? For example: GFI in powder room cannot include small wetbar GFI adjacent to bathroom? This would be a total of 2 receps on one 20 amp circuit. I think it would be overkill to run a seperate ciruit for the bathroom and the small wet bar but the NEC seems to prohibit this. Am I wrong?

physis

Re: Bathroom Circuit Art 210.11-3

210.11(C)(3) says that the receptacle branch circuit can be used for other utilization equipment in the same bathroom if that circuit is only supplying the one bathroom.

If the branch circuit is supplying other "bathrooms", beyond one, then only receptacles can be supplied by that circuit.

In no case can the bathroom circuit supply anything outside of a bathroom.

Edit: Error A

Edit: And I agree that it's writing leaves a lot to be desired.

[ June 26, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

bphgravity

Bathroom receptacles tend to be overloaded. If there is a single receptacle in a dwelling that gets overused, it would be the bathroom one.

mdshunk

Originally posted by mikeames:
I think it would be overkill to run a seperate ciruit for the bathroom and the small wet bar but the NEC seems to prohibit this. Am I wrong?
You might think it's overkill until you add up the wattage of the curling iron and the hair dryer that are both plugged into the bathroom duplex.

luke warmwater

Is the wetbar in a Kitchen?

If not, you could feed the wetbar off of the bathroom lighting circut, as long as it isn't part of the bathroom receptacle circut.

Status
Not open for further replies.