Bathroom Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am surprised there are that many people using #12 for lights. Why not just use #14 and save money all the way instead of doing illegal work.

growler

I am surprised there are that many people using #12 for lights. Why not just use #14 and save money all the way instead of doing illegal work.

There are lots of older areas here where nothing was run but #12 and when adding a light or a fan some electrician would like to get away with fishing #14 especially for can lights. I think there are still a few areas that want nothing but #12 run even now. There are literally 100s of jurisdictions and it's hard to keep track of them. A lot of small towns are very independant and hard headed and they like to do things their way.

I'll give an example: A few years ago I went to Tennessee at Christmas time ( mother's house ) and I ran one circuit outside for Christmas lights. It happen that I had a roll of #14 in the truck ad didn't even think about it. I had a GFCI receptacle and this was one the porch so the old type covers were good enough at that time but when I went out to the supply house to get a breaker they wanted to know where I bought the #14 as it was not allowed in that town. They did sell me a 15A breaker when I told them what I was doing. (folks it's just for Christmas lights and it much better and safer than an extenion cord out the window, it does meet code ).

Many small towns are like leaving the real world and going to a different planet. They have their way of doing things and many times you don't have the time nor the inclination to argue the point.

At that time I was not a contractor and no license was required to do electrical work in that town and my brother had a wiremans card or certificate or whatever that he used for his pool business so we were legal except for the way things were done in that area.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm not sure if it's really allowed or if the inspectors don't check so everyone just assumes it's allowed.

There is a difference between being allowed and not being caught on inspection. ;)

that makes sense, obvious now that you pointed it out, considering other things I've seen on jobs that passed an "inspection."

Status
Not open for further replies.