Bathroom circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I can only speak for my inspection area, but for the most part the "bottom dollar" contractors use one circuit for all bath receptacles, the "higher end" most often use one circuit per bath and often do not put lighting on that circuit.

nizak

Most EC's around here pull 1 circuit as well for all bath receptacles. One GFCI at first location and feed through to all the rest. And then to take it even a step cheaper, they will put it on a no name $ 6.99 device that will fail to re set in 6 months when tripped. Gotta love minimum requirements.

Half baths and small powder rooms I will usually share a circuit for a couple receptacles. Master suites with vanity, make up area, etc will get individual circuits.

May be overkill , but have never had a call back for overloaded circuits.

Kitchens as well get 3/4 S/A circuits plus a 20A dedicated for micro, and a dedicated 15A for fridge.

JFletcher

We don't do a lot of new resi construction, but from what Ive seen (existing), most bathrooms are on the same circuit. On that note, if you have no power on the downstairs bath, check to see if the upstairs bathroom GFCI outlet has tripped. :roll:

On the few we have done, I think it more a convenience to run separate circuits to 2nd floor bathroom(s), especially if the upstairs bath is closer to the panel. I prefer to wire it like commercial (hotels): assume it's going to be (ab)used. That means mom+2 daughters* will be running 3 2kw hairdryers simultaneously, as well as having every light on possible. Probably overkill, but I hate rework, especially when I just installed it. Crawlspaces and attics kinda stink no matter what....

*Nothing sexist here, just an observation.

10fords

I always pull a separate circuit to each bathroom. And plugs only on it. Overkill?- yes. Any complaints ever?- no. If you do share a circuit for the bathrooms at least put a gfci in each bathroom so the customer doesn't have to call you every time the bathroom plug without a gfci has no power. I have had more calls like this than I can count (on houses I didn't wire) that I usually solve over the phone.

If I was doing tract housing/condos/etc. I suppose I would be forced to go code minimum or either I wouldn't win the bid or I wouldn't have a profit.

Since I don't do ^^^^^^^^^^^, I run a 20 amp circuit to each bathroom for receptacles. Lighting on a separate circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.