92.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 11.41.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 11.41.01 AM.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 7

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would not want to have my name associated with an installation that is unsafe. In your situation, I would tell the homeowners that either it will be brought up to code, or I am walking away.

That said, the relevant rule is in the (unenforceable) Annex H, article 80.9(B). This so-called "Grandfather Clause" is frequently misinterpreted as allowing an existing condition that does not meet current code requirements to remain as-is, PROVIDED that it met the code requirements that were in effect when it was installed. 80.9(B) does not include that later part. It says nothing about having ever met the requirements of any previous code edition. It does, however, give the AHJ the ability to say, "This is unsafe; tear it down." I am surprised that your Inspector did not take that action.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agree with charlie. it has to be moved to meet code.

the other option open to you is to get a carpenter to move the door so the panel is now on the other side of the door thus no longer in the bathroom.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Would you move it or just try to repair this. Home owners are being cheap as they just want to sell it.

So they want to wait until it shows up on a HI report?

I agree with the others, they made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Around here if work was done without a permit then you would be obligated to install everything to the new code. It doesn't matter when the work was initially done because the new work will require a permit and that is what determines the code cycle. Everything done then would have to meet todays standards.

We have a few areas around here where home owner's are selling their homes and have finished the bonus rooms over the garage. The inspection dept are requiring all sheetrock removed so they can inspect the work

Status
Not open for further replies.