Bathroom floor heating cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeunderstanding

Do the cold leads from the floor to the juction box have to be in a raceway? I was looking at article 424.43(A) for nonheating leads and in mentions raceways, UF, NMC, and approved conductors. But it talks about wire in ceiling, and was wondering if it just for heated ceilings, and not for heated floors?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this in poured concrete or just installed under tile? Did you look at 424.45?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We always install two pieces of carflex to the floor so the leads and the t-stat can be sleeved back to the panel. I believe I asked this at a cmp meeting in Raleigh and they didn't think it needed a sleeve. I believe the wires are just Thwn or something. The manufacturer also supplies a conduit for it if you wanted to buy it. That tells me it should be required.

The floor heat we do is usually install after the sheetrock so we always use a sleeve so we can get the wires up the wall easily.

codeunderstanding

I usually do run 2 pieces of conduit dow, but this last time I didn't and was called out on it by the inspector for not using a raceway. The manufacture didn't say anything about being in a raceway. These cable ends were wrapped in sheathing. I didn't argue with him not knowing if neede to be in conduit or not, and just did the repair.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I usually do run 2 pieces of conduit dow, but this last time I didn't and was called out on it by the inspector for not using a raceway. The manufacture didn't say anything about being in a raceway. These cable ends were wrapped in sheathing. I didn't argue with him not knowing if neede to be in conduit or not, and just did the repair.

What code section did the inspector cite?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like you can just follow the manufacturer's instructions.

424.45 Installation of Cables Under Floor Coverings.
(A) Identification. Heating cables for installation under floor covering shall be identified as suitable for installation under
floor covering.
(B) Expansion Joints. Heating cables shall not be installed where they bridge expansion joints unless provided with expansion and contraction fittings applicable to the manufacture of the cable.
(C) Connection to Conductors. Heating cables shall be connected to branch-circuit and supply wiring by wiring methods described in the installation instructions or as recognized in Chapter 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.