Bathroom GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmd445

A co-worker is having her bath room redone and the electrician told her he needed to make a homerun from the panel to the GFI because he couldn't place it on the same circuit as the light and exhaust fan. Nothing else is on the light / fan circuit or the GFI circuit.

Sounds like a bogus money maker to me! Any opinions?

Thanks, Jim

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Bathroom GFI

If the circuit serves that bathroom and has no other outlets anywhere in (or outside) the home, then the lights, fans, and receptacles can be on the same circuit.

Reference: 210.11(C)(3) Exception

jeff43222

You can put all of those things on a single circuit as long as the circuit doesn't have any other outlets outside that bathroom and the circuit is 20A. NEC 210.11(C)(3), Exception. Also, any one cord-and-plug connected device on that circuit cannot exceed 80% of the circuit rating, and all fixed-in-place devices (except lights) must be no more than 50% of the circuit rating. NEC 210.23(A).

I doubt the light/fan in that bathroom are big users of current, so if they are truly the only things on the existing circuit, the only thing that would require a new homerun is if the existing circuit is 15A.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Sorry, it's not.
2005 National Electrical Code
ARTICLE 210 Branch Circuits
210.11 Branch Circuits Required
(C) Dwelling Units
(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).
The only possible relief from this will be local ordinance exceptions for existing buildings. In my area a bath that is not being remodeled but is having the receptacle added is allowed an exemption at the bill payers discretion. Check with the electrical inspector for that job.

jmd445

In accordance with that article, therefore the light and fan can be on the same circuit as the GFI since nothing else is served by it other than the Bath Room. So no additional run was required.

Jim

kevinware

Jmd445,
Is this the only bathroom in the dwelling? You said this was a remodel, so unless the wiring to the bathroom has been changed then the light is probably on the general lighting of the dwelling and that is probably a 15amp circuit. 210.11(C)(3) states: "In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-amp branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlets. Such circuits shall have no other outlets"

Now the exception to 210.11(C)(3) states: Where the 20-amp circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2)

What all this boils down to is that IMO. If you have one bathroom and one 20-amp circuit feeding this bathroom then you can have the light and fan and GFCI on the same circuit. Anything else like two bathrooms, then the 20-amp circuit required by 210.11(C)(3) can only feed the receptacles and the lighting will be supplied by the general lighting of the dwelling.....But that is just an apprentice's opinion, wait and see what others with more experience have to say.....
If you are worried about your electrician then talk to him or her. We are generally all good people :D :D :D

[ October 03, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: kevinware ]

kevinware

WOW!! Now I know I'm slow at typing. I thought I was going to be the first one to answer this and I end up being the last HAHAHAHAHA!! :D :D :D

jmd445

The existing circuit only served the bathroom, there are more than one bathrooms in the house but this circuit just served stricly this particular bathroom. (ps.. I'm also a licensed electrician in NJ and I did't see the need for an additional circuit. And I'm generally a decent person also)

Jim

kevinware

Is it at least a 20-amp circuit?? If so then you have your answer.......The exception to 210.11(C)(3) allows other outlets on this circuit where a single bathroom is supplied....... But just to be save check with your AHJ....

[ October 03, 2005, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: kevinware ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Jim,

Does the fan have a heater in it?

& I'll second the question: Is that existing fan/light circuit a 20 Amp circuit?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by al hildenbrand: Your coworker's electrician seems to be wrong.
That seems to be the "consensus of opinion" here. That phrase, "consensus of opinion," is a fancy legal term that means "the other members have agreed with me." :D

jwelectric

I agree with you too Charlie on what ever it was that you agreed with, when ever it was that you agreed and now I am going to get me another cup of coffee.
:D

jimwalker

OK so we are now at the point of the only thing on this circuit is this bathroom and its a 20 amp circuit.If thats fact then no reason to add a circuit unless there are so many lights that its over loaded,and yes some do reach that point.Have had master baths that needed 3 circuits

automaton

If one were going through the remodeling process for a bathroom i.e. walls open access is very open... Would it be good practice just to run an independent 20 Amp line for the bath GFCI? Another factor would be is there the possibility of two girls running a million amp drawing hair dryers and curling irons while listening to a megapower boom box? I personally would rather have the extra protection in my opinion. But I also live in a house full of girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.