Bathroom outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELI56

I have a double sink vanity.The sink to the right is within 12" of the inside of the tub.I can't find anything in 210-52-D that says you can't have that there.But I did here a remark about a wall switch next to the shower/ tub area might be a issue.Any thougths.

John120/240

I have a double sink vanity.The sink to the right is within 12" of the inside of the tub.I can't find anything in 210-52-D that says you can't have that there.But I did here a remark about a wall switch next to the shower/ tub area might be a issue.Any thougths.

Outside of the tub/shower envelope is whats required. Is it a smart installation ? Maybe, Maybe Not

electricalist

I looked endlessly for this as well. The best example i found was, often there is a light switch by the sink in the kitchen, not a problem. Same in the bathroom , if its 4 ft to water and its a plug it needs to have a gfci but not a switch even if you can reach it while in the shower. Dont do that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I looked endlessly for this as well. The best example i found was, often there is a light switch by the sink in the kitchen, not a problem. Same in the bathroom , if its 4 ft to water and its a plug it needs to have a gfci but not a switch even if you can reach it while in the shower. Dont do that.

Don't all bathroom receptacles require GFCI protection regardless of their proximity to water?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

A switch can be near the shower but not inside the footprint. The switch does not need any gfci protection. The receptacles can make many authority having jurisdiction's nervous but there is nothing I know about that would disallow it.

Look at this one. Let's assume the recep. is to the left of the tub which I believe is accurate. The sink is to the left and the tub is on the lower platform to the right

ry%3D400

mwm1752

A switch can be near the shower but not inside the footprint. The switch does not need any gfci protection. The receptacles can make many authority having jurisdiction's nervous but there is nothing I know about that would disallow it.

Look at this one. Let's assume the recep. is to the left of the tub which I believe is accurate. The sink is to the left and the tub is on the lower platform to the right

ry%3D400

Moving the Recept to the left over the sink counter outside of the surround make it compliant per code -- not recommended

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Don't all bathroom receptacles require GFCI protection regardless of their proximity to water?
Indeed......many people still believe that Section 210.8(A)(1) does not apply to "ALL" 125-V, Single Phase 15- and 20 amp receptacles in a bathroom. If you installed a separate 15A circuit for an optional use (other than for the requirements of 210.11(C)(3)) it would still have to be GFCI protection.

While the branch circuit to meet 210.11(C)(3) also probably serves to meet 210.52(D) as well in terms of placement to sink......I have seen other receptacles installed (15 A, 125V) and have the electrician argue that it does not require GFCI Protection...which is incorrect if it's within the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.