Bathroom Receptacle Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Ok. I got a question here...

your standing in a bathroom, a rather large one.

Right in front of you is an 8’ double vanity with a full 8X4 mirror over it. 2 ft away from the side of the vanity is a whirlpool tub.
the bathroom is 14’ wide...

there is an outlet on each side of the vanity. The one on the right side is 2 ft vertically and 18” horizontally from the rim of the whirlpool tub.

so with this new rule am I supposed to move the outlet three feet away from the rim of the tub and cut it in the mirror?:?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok. I got a question here...

your standing in a bathroom, a rather large one.

Right in front of you is an 8’ double vanity with a full 8X4 mirror over it. 2 ft away from the side of the vanity is a whirlpool tub.
the bathroom is 14’ wide...

there is an outlet on each side of the vanity. The one on the right side is 2 ft vertically and 18” horizontally from the rim of the whirlpool tub.

so with this new rule am I supposed to move the outlet three feet away from the rim of the tub and cut it in the mirror?:?

Yes unless there is another code compliant location to put it.

This has nothing to do with your question (mini rant) but this one thing that I despise about the PI process. They make a huge code change with zero substantiation, why? If people were dying left and right from receptacles less than 3' from a tub then I get it but these "seems like a good idea" changes really aggravate me. As I said in another thread wait until Mr. Rich Guy wants a receptacle for his $6000 Toto toilet and you tell him sorry bud you'll have to move the crapper to the other side of the room. :rant:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

This has nothing to do with your question (mini rant) but this one thing that I despise about the PI process. They make a huge code change with zero substantiation, why? If people were dying left and right from receptacles less than 3' from a tub then I get it but these "seems like a good idea" changes really aggravate me. As I said in another thread wait until Mr. Rich Guy wants a receptacle for his $6000 Toto toilet and you tell him sorry bud you'll have to move the crapper to the other side of the room. :rant:

That’s going to make someone pissed, wait and see...
I have to install an outlet and the glass guys have to cut it out correctly. Along with that it will look like crap without doing it twice for uniformity.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician

Seems to be a trend. How many have been injured by a dryer that was not GFI protected?

kwired

Electron manager
That’s going to make someone pissed, wait and see...
I have to install an outlet and the glass guys have to cut it out correctly. Along with that it will look like crap without doing it twice for uniformity.
Though I don't find the new requirement to be necessary, inform owners of your requirements, point out it likely will be more expensive if you need cut outs in the glass, let them plan on glass accordingly. Most the time it isn't absolutely necessary for it to go all the way down to the countertop/backsplash.

Or put it as close to corner as practical and make sure wall between vanity and tub is wide enough to comply, you can measure around corners, it is distance to the edge of tub/shower that you need to be concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.