Bathroom receptacles in hotel

Kreis

Occupation
MAINTENANCE
I'm the supervisor of maintenance for a few buildings including a hotel that's being renovated. Today I noticed that only one of the bathroom outlets by sink basin were GFCI. I understand that they could both be protected as long as the first in the circuit was GFCI. I was wondering though don't both still have to be actual GFCI outlets or is the one fine as long as it is first on the circuit?
I am not a licensed electrician but this contracting company has been caught lately cutting a lot of corners and I'm just curious about the actual code here.
Sorry title is supposed to be bathroom not bath the room lol.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, they can be regular receptacles as long as they are GFCI protected from a device or breaker.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Easy enough to test the receptacles with an inexpensive tester.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some horrible troubleshooting problems occur when someone who does not understand pass through protection ends up putting two or more GFCI receptacles in series. Trying to figure where they all are for one circuit is hard enough, and it could be any one of the upstream devices that trips. Or even all of them.
Using a portable GFCI tester on a circuit wired in this way can get you into a world of trouble getting it back on again.
The test button on a GFCI receptacle should NOT trip upstream devices, unlike the portable tester.
The safe way to verify coverage is to plug in a load and then use the test button on the visible GFCI receptacle and see if the other loses power too.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The test button on a GFCI receptacle should NOT trip upstream devices, unlike the portable tester.
I don't understand, why would a portable tester (analyzer) have any effect on upstream devices?

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Some horrible troubleshooting problems occur when someone who does not understand pass through protection ends up putting two or more GFCI receptacles in series. Trying to figure where they all are for one circuit is hard enough, and it could be any one of the upstream devices that trips. Or even all of them.
Using a portable GFCI tester on a circuit wired in this way can get you into a world of trouble getting it back on again.
The safe way to verify coverage is to plug in a load and then use the test button on the visible GFCI receptacle and see if the other loses power too.
Sounds like that's not the case here: there's only one GFCI receptacle in the circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Normally, the packaging for a GFCI outlet has stickers to be placed on outlets down-the-line that are protected.
True but that's not a requirement Of the nec. It also doesn't guarantee that it is gfi Protected. Some one can stick a sticker on a receptacle and it's not protected

Kreis

Occupation
MAINTENANCE
Thanks guys I was also wondering if afci's are standard yet or maybe a hotel would need those to pass. Also now that I think of it is the code the same for residential like kitchens can I just put one GFCI at the beginning of the circuit and the rest are just protected is that good enough for inspection?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It is along with a no equipment ground if for non grounded replacement that's why they come with both those stickers
That is a different scenario then just standard downstream gfci protected receptacles.

The code does require the stickers when there is no ground present. I wonder how long those stickers stay put.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I don't understand, why would a portable tester (analyzer) have any effect on upstream devices?
The portable tester takes some current from the hot and returns it via the EGC instead of the neutral. That means that the currents in upstream devices will not balance either. Unpredictable which and how many will trip simultaneously.
The internal test button takes current from hot and returns it to neutral through a path that bypasses the sense transformer. But L and N currents outside the device still match.
(This is also why the portable tester will fail a GFCI device with no EGC present, even though the NEC allows such an installation in some cases, with appropriate labelling.)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
True but that's not a requirement Of the nec. It also doesn't guarantee that it is gfi Protected. Some one can stick a sticker on a receptacle and it's not protected
The NEC does not mandate the use of the "GFCI Protected" stickers, but it does mandate the use of the "No Ground Present" stickers where appropriate.
Now, how long the stickers will remain in place is yet another question.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
After rereading you earlier post I missed that you said "GFCI receptacles in series" and considering that I see what you were saying.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
After rereading you earlier post I missed that you said "GFCI receptacles in series" and considering that I see what you were saying.
Also includes GFCI breakers, although that is a much less likely installation unless the breaker is a retrofit.
My barn/storage building has GFCI receptacles at each receptacle outlet location, and in some cases the first GFCI in the circuit is several rooms and the depth of the building away from the last one. And, of course, no wiring plan available.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The NEC does not mandate the use of the "GFCI Protected" stickers, but it does mandate the use of the "No Ground Present" stickers where appropriate.
Now, how long the stickers will remain in place is yet another question.
I believe that is what I've been saying